- •A systematic literature review on nurse-driven protocols and catheter-associated urinary tract infections was performed.
- •All included studies demonstrated reductions in clinical predictors of catheter-associated urinary tract infections.
- •A formal quality assessment revealed a high risk of bias in these studies.
- •Health care quality improvement studies could benefit from improved design.
- •Clinical impact could be substantiated through greater scientific rigor.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Catheter-associated urinary tract infection.(Available from)http://www.ihi.org/topics/CAUTI/Pages/default.aspxDate accessed: November 12, 2016
- Catheter-associated urinary tract infection and the Medicare rule changes.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 877-884
- Guideline for prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infections.(Available from)https://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/pdf/CAUTI/CAUTIguideline2009final.pdfDate: 2009Date accessed: November 12, 2016
- Spotlight on success: implementing nurse-driven protocols to reduce CAUTIs.Source. 2013; 11 (1+4-6-9)
- The future of nursing: leading change, advancing health.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011
- Finding what works in health care: standards for systematic reviews.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011
- Evidence-based practice in nursing and healthcare: a guide to best practice.Lippincott, Williams, & Wilkins, Philadelphia (PA)2011
- Reliability and validity in hospital case-mix measurement.Health Care Financ Rev. 1982; 4: 101-128
- Critical appraisal checklist for case control studies.(Available from)http://joannabriggs.org/research/critical-appraisal-tools.htmlDate: 2016Date accessed: November 19, 2016
- Tools and strategies for quality improvement and patient safety.in: Patient safety and quality: an evidence-based handbook for nurses. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US), Rockville (MD)2008
- Implementation of a nurse-driven Foley catheter removal protocol: a patient safety and quality improvement project.(Hong Kong, China: STTI-25th International Nursing Research Congress; July 24-28)2014
- Reducing use of indwelling urinary catheters with a nurse-driven protocol.Crit Care Nurse. 2011; : E42
- Implementation of a nurse-driven protocol to prevent catheter-associated urinary tract infections.J Nurs Care Qual. 2014; 29: 245-252
- Sustained reductions in urinary catheter use over 5 years: bedside nurses view themselves responsible for evaluation of catheter necessity.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 236-239
- Catheter-associated urinary tract infection a successful prevention effort employing a multipronged initiative at an academic medical center.J Nurs Care Qual. 2014; 29: 141-148
- Development of a nurse-driven protocol to remove urinary catheters.(The Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America; Dallas, TX; Apr 1-4)2011: 59
- From “uh-oh” to “oh-yeah!”: a nurse driven urinary catheter removal protocol.(The NICHE Annual Conference)2011
- Empowering the clinical bedside nurse: using a nurse-driven protocol to decrease rate of catheter-associated urinary tract infections.(Lake Buena Vista, FL: American Nurses Association Annual Conference;; March 9-11)2016
- Successful reduction in catheter-associated urinary tract infections: focus on nurse-directed catheter removal.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 1178-1181
- Reducing use of indwelling urinary catheters and associated urinary tract infections.Am J Crit Care. 2009; 18: 535-542
- Evaluation of an evidence-based, nurse-driven checklist to prevent hospital-acquired catheter-associated urinary tract infections in intensive care units.J Nurs Care Qual. 2011; 26: 101-109
- Avoiding catastrophe: implementing a nurse-driven protocol.Medsurg Nurs. 2014; 23: 15-21
- Reducing Foley catheter device days in an intensive care unit: using the evidence to change practice.AACN Adv Crit Care. 2006; 17: 272-283
- Reduction of catheter-associated urinary tract infections through the use of an evidence-based nursing algorithm and the implementation of shift nursing rounds.J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs. 2016; 43: 183-187
- Incidence and duration of urinary catheters in hospitalized older adults: before and after implementing a geriatric protocol.J Gerontol Nurs. 2009; 35: 35-41
- A quality improvement project to reduce the complications associated with indwelling urinary catheters.Urol Nurs. 2008; 28: 465-467
- Nurse-driven catheter-associated urinary tract infection reduction process and protocol: development through an academic-practice partnership.Crit Care Nurs Q. 2016; 39: 352-362
- Chasing zero: a nurse-driven process for catheter-associated urinary tract infection reduction in a community hospital.Nurs Econ. 2015; 33: 320-325
- Nurse-driven protocol to reduce indwelling catheter dwell time: a health care improvement initiative.J Nurs Care Qual. 2016;
- Prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infections in patients with hip fractures through education of nurses to specific catheter protocols.Orthop Nurs. 2012; 31: 12-18
- Development of an evidence-based protocol for reduction of indwelling urinary catheter usage.Medsurg Nurs. 2007; 16: 157-161
- Holy moley! Take out that Foley! Measuring compliance with a nurse driven protocol for Foley catheter removal to decrease utilization.Am J Infect Control. 2015; 43: S51
- Utilization of a nurse-driven protocol to decrease catheter-associated urinary tract infections.in: Holly C. Scholarly inquiry and the DNP capstone. Springer Publishing Company, New York (NY)2014: 153
- EB73 Infection preCAUTIon: implementation of a nurse-driven protocol for removal of Foley catheters.Crit Care Nurse. 2014; 34: e13-4
- A nurse driven Foley catheter removal protocol proves clinically effective to reduce the incidents of catheter related urinary tract infections.Am J Infect Control. 2012; 40: e92-3
- Get those Foleys out: successful reduction of catheter utilization through use of a nurse driven Foley discontinuation protocol.Am J Infect Control. 2015; 43: S52
- Implementation of a nurse-driven protocol to reduce catheter-associated urinary tract infections.Crit Care Nurse. 2016; : E24-E
- Use of a nurse driven protocol to remove Foley catheters resulted in a 40% reduction in nosocomial infection markers.Am J Infect Control. 2011; 39: E62-3
- Reducing catheter associated urinary tract infections: a nurse-driven urinary catheter removal protocol.(Washington, DC: The Oncology Nursing Society Annual Congress; April 25-28)2013
- Device-associated module: UTI.(Available from)https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/PDFs/pscManual/7pscCAUTIcurrent.pdfDate: 2017Date accessed: November 12, 2016
- Science of improvement: establishing measures.(Available from)http://www.ihi.org/resources/Pages/HowtoImprove/ScienceofImprovementEstablishingMeasures.aspxDate: 2016Date accessed: November 12, 2016
- STROBE checklists.(Available from)http://strobe-statement.org/index.php?id=available-checklistsDate: 2007Date accessed: November 19, 2016
Conflicts of interest: In addition to being a PhD student at Rockefeller College of Public Affairs & Policy, University at Albany-State University of New York, D.J.D. works for the Healthcare Association of New York State.