- •No consensus exists regarding infection prevention for most procedures.
- •We developed a classification of infection prevention strategies for procedures.
- •This model is intended as a starting point for further efforts on the topic.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic review of randomised controlled trials.Br Med J. 2003; 327: 1459-1461
- The GRADE system for rating clinical guidelines.PLoS Med. 2009; 6 (e1000094)
- From the EBM pyramid to the Greek temple: a new conceptual approach to Guidelines as implementation tools in mental health.Epidemiol Psychiatr Sci. 2017; 26: 105-114
- 2007 guideline for isolation precautions: preventing transmission of infectious agents in healthcare settings.(The Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC))2007
- An intervention to decrease catheter-related bloodstream infections.N Engl J Med. 2006; 35: 2725-2732
- Practice Guidelines for Central Venous Access.Anesthesiology. 2012; 116: 539-573
- Guidelines for the prevention if intravascular catheter-related infections, 2011.(USA: The Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC))2011
- Guideline for prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infection 2009.(USA: The Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC))2009
- Preventing central line–associated bloodstream infections: useful tools, an international perspective.(Available from:)Accessed June 15, 2017)
- Aseptic technique and clean technique procedure version 3.in: Infection prevention & control policy: appendix 7. NHS Southern Health, United Kingdom2014
- The Princess Bride [Motion picture].1987
- USA.(Available from)http://www.nejm.org/multimedia/medical-videos(Accessed June 15, 2017)Date: 2007-2017
- Clean vs. sterile dressing techniques for management of chronic wounds: a fact sheet.J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs. 2012; 39: S30-4
- WHO guidelines on drawing blood: best practices in phlebotomy.(The World Health Organization)2010
- Centers for Disease Control and prevention guideline for the prevention of surgical site infection.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: E1-8
Conflicts of interest: None to report.