- •A multifaceted hand hygiene intervention specifically designed for nursing homes was assessed.
- •Mortality was found to be significantly lower in intervention nursing homes.
- •No impact was found on hospitalization rates.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Infections in nursing homes: epidemiology and prevention programs.Clin Geriatr Med. 2016; 32: 585-607
- Infection prevention issues in long-term care.Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2014; 27: 363-369
- Prevalence of infections in French nursing homes: analysis by region, PRIAM survey, France, 2006-2007.Bull Epidemiol Hebd (Paris). 2009; 31: 349-352
- Burden of infections among 44,869 elderly in nursing homes: a cross-sectional cluster nationwide survey.J Hosp Infect. 2011; 79: 254-259
- Severe consequences of healthcare-associated infections among residents of nursing homes: a cohort study.J Hosp Infect. 2009; 71: 269-274
- The burden of infection in long-term care.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2000; 21: 674-679
- Back to basics: hand hygiene and isolation.Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2014; 27: 379-389
- Costs of infection prevention practices in long-term care settings: a systematic Review.Nurs Econ. 2016; 34: 16-24
- Determinants of staff job satisfaction of caregivers in two nursing homes in Pennsylvania.BMC Health Serv Res. 2006; 6: 60
- SHEA/APIC guideline: infection prevention and control in the long-term care facility.Am J Infect Control. 2008; 36: 504-535
- Infection prevention in long-term care: a systematic review of randomized and nonrandomized trials.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013; 61: 602-614
- Hand hygiene practices of health care workers in long-term care facilities.Am J Infect Control. 2008; 36: 492-494
- Adherence to hand hygiene in an Italian long-term care facility.Am J Infect Control. 2008; 36: 495-497
- Hand hygiene compliance among the nursing staff in freestanding nursing homes in Taiwan: a preliminary study.Int J Nurs Pract. 2014; 20: 46-52
- Impact of hand hygiene on the infectious risk in nursing home residents: a systematic review.Am J Infect Control. 2015; 43: e47-e52
- CONSORT 2010 statement: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomised trials.BMC Med. 2010; 8: 18
- ATC/DDD index 2015.(Available from)http://www.whocc.no/atc_ddd_index/Date: 2015Date accessed: September 19, 2017
- AGGIR scale: a contribution to specifying the needs of disabled elders.Rev Neurol (Paris). 2014; 170: 216-221
- AGGIR. Practical use. geriatric autonomy group resources needs.Soins Gerontol. 1998; 13: 23-27
- Instruction DGS/RI1/DGCS n°2012-433 du 21 décembre 2012 relative aux conduites à tenir devant des infections respiratoires aiguës ou des gastro-entérites aiguës dans les collectivités de personnes âgées.(Bulletin Officiel) Protection sociale et Solidarité, Santé (France)2013 (pp. 1:304-27)
- Acute respiratory infections and acute gastroenteritis outbreaks surveillance in nursing homes in the Pays de la Loire region, 2010-2013.Institut de Veille Sanitaire, Saint-Maurice2014
- Effectiveness of a comprehensive hand hygiene program for reduction of infection rates in a long-term care facility.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 39-44
- A short-term, multicomponent infection control program in nursing homes: a cluster randomized controlled trial.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2012; 13 (e9-17): 569
- Influenza activity in mainland France: 2014-15 season.Bull Epidemiol Hebd (Paris). 2015; 32-33: 593-598
- Estimating age-specific cumulative incidence for the 2009 influenza pandemic: a meta-analysis of A(H1N1)pdm09 serological studies from 19 countries.Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2013; 7: 872-886
- La fin de vie en EHPAD. Premiers résultats d'une étude nationale (2013).(Paris (France): ONFV)2014
- Epidemiology and heat waves: analysis of the 2003 episode in France.C R Biol. 2004; 327: 1125-1141
- 693 000 résidents en établissements d'hébergement pour personnes âgées en 2011.(Paris (France): DREES)2014 (pp. 899: 1-6)
- Influenza vaccination for healthcare workers who care for people aged 60 or older living in long-term care institutions.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; (CD005187)
- Early estimates of 2014/15 seasonal influenza vaccine effectiveness in preventing influenza-like illness in general practice using the screening method in France.Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2015; 11: 1621-1625
- Association between the 2008-09 seasonal influenza vaccine and pandemic H1N1 illness during Spring-Summer 2009: four observational studies from Canada.PLoS Med. 2010; 7: e1000258
- Surveillance for outbreaks of gastroenteritis in elderly long-term care facilities in France, November 2010 to May 2012.Euro Surveill. 2014; 19
- Causes of death in elderly nursing home residents.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2008; 9: 565-567
- Excess mortality among the elderly in European countries, December 2014 to February 2015.Euro Surveill. 2015; 20
Conflicts of interest: None to report.