- •From 2002-2014, HIV, tuberculosis (TB), and HIV-TB coinfection rates have declined among pregnant women.
- •Mean hospital length of stay is higher in HIV-TB coinfected mothers than those who are HIV- or TB-free.
- •Hospital costs are amplified for mothers with active TB or HIV-TB coinfection.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Tuberculosis in pregnancy: an estimate of the global burden of disease.Lancet Glob Health. 2014; 2: e710-e716
- 2006 report on the global AIDS epidemic.(Available from:)http://data.unaids.org/pub/report/2006/2006_gr_en.pdfDate: 2006Date accessed: July 1, 2010
- 2007 tuberculosis facts.(Available from:)http://www.who.int/tb/publications/2007/factsheet_2007.pdfDate: 2007Date accessed: July 1, 2010
- The twin epidemics: HIV and TB coinfection.(Available from:)https://www.usaid.gov/news-information/fact-sheets/twin-epidemics-hiv-and-tb-coinfectionDate: 2014Date accessed: April 4, 2017
- Tuberculosis trends in the United States, 1992-2001.Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2003; 83: 21-29
- Global tuberculosis report 2015.(Available from:)http://who.int/tb/publications/global_report/en/Date: 2015Date accessed: April 4, 2017
- Leveling of tuberculosis incidence—United States, 2013-2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016; 65: 273-278
- Medical and obstetric outcomes among pregnant women with tuberculosis: a population-based study of 7.8 million births.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 215: 797.e1-797.e6
- Introduction to the HCUP Nationwide Inpatient Sample (NIS) 2011.(Available from:)http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/db/nation/nis/NIS_Introduction_2011.pdfDate: 2015Date accessed: January 1, 2016
- The prevalence of active tuberculosis infection among pregnant women is not increasing in the United States.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 217: 490-491
- Permutation tests for joinpoint regression with applications to cancer rates.Stat Med. 2000; 19: 335-351
- Joinpoint regression program, version 126.96.36.199, statistical methodology and applications branch, surveillance research program.(Available from:)http://surveillance.cancer.gov/joinpoint/Date: 2016Date accessed: January 4, 2015
- Using the HCUP nationwide inpatient sample to estimate trends (updated for 1988-2004).(HCUP methods series Report # 2006-05 online; Available from:)http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/methods/2006_05_NISTrendsReport_1988-2004.pdfDate accessed: January 1, 2016
- Global tuberculosis report 2016.(Available from:)http://who.int/tb/publications/global_report/en/Date: 2016Date accessed: April 4, 2017
- Tuberculosis and HIV remain major causes of death in African children.Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2016; 20: 996-997
- Priorities for women's health from the Global Burden of Disease study.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2008; 102: 82-90
- Tuberculosis stays in U.S. hospitals, 2006.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville (MD)2008
- Incidence of tuberculosis among HIV-infected patients receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy in Europe and North America.Clin Infect Dis. 2005; 41: 1772-1782
- Polyfunctional CD4(+) and CD8(+) T cell responses to tuberculosis antigens in HIV-1-infected patients before and after anti-retroviral treatment.J Immunol. 2010; 184: 6537-6544
- Identification of PD-1 as a unique marker for failing immune reconstitution in HIV-1-infected patients on treatment.J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2011; 56: 118-124
- Immunologic failure despite suppressive antiretroviral therapy is related to activation and turnover of memory CD4 cells.J Infect Dis. 2011; 204: 1217-1226
- Survival and proliferation of CD28- T cells during HIV-1 infection relate to the amplitude of viral replication.J Infect Dis. 2011; 203: 1658-1667
- Trends in diagnoses of HIV infection in the United States, 2002-2011.JAMA. 2014; 312: 432-434
- Modelling tuberculosis trends in the USA.Epidemiol Infect. 2012; 140: 1862-1872
- Mind the gap: TB trends in the USA and the UK, 2000-2011.Thorax. 2016; 71: 356-363
- Tuberculosis - United States, 2016.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017; 66: 289-294
- A strategic plan for the elimination of tuberculosis in the United States.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1989; 38: 269-272
- Tuberculosis elimination in the United States: an achievable goal or an illusion?.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2012; 186: i-iii
Funding/support: Research funding support was provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services , Health Resources and Services Administration for the Maternal and Child Health Pipeline Training Program: TSU-BCM Maternal and Child Health Student Training for Academic Readiness and Success (MCH STARS) Undergraduate Fellowship Program, Grant No: T16MC29831 .
Conflicts of interest: None to report.