- •Understanding attitudes to antimicrobial stewardship (AMS) is pivotal to ensuring relevance of local programs.
- •Clinicians within different professions differed in their attitudes toward AMS.
- •Doctors were less interested in AMS education and limits on their prescribing.
- •Nurses were less likely to agree that community antibiotic use contributed to antimicrobial resistance.
- •Pharmacists agreed that expert prescribing advice and feedback was needed.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Antimicrobial resistance.(Available from:)http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs194/en/Date: 2016Date accessed: January 9, 2017
- Antimicrobial resistance: a global view from the 2013 world healthcare-associated infections forum.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2013; 2: 31
- Tackling antimicrobial resistance: changing mindsets and stewardship.Nurse Prescr. 2012; 10: 578
- Antibiotic resistance threats in the United States, 2013.(Available from:)http://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/threat-report-2013/pdf/ar-threats-2013-508.pdfDate: 2013Date accessed: June 18, 2014
- Health and economic impacts of antimicrobial resistance in Thailand.J Health Serv Res Policy. 2012; 9: 352-360
- Epidemiology and burden of multidrug-resistant bacterial infection in a developing country.eLife. 2016; 5
- Point-prevalence study of inappropriate antibiotic use at a tertiary Australian hospital.Intern Med J. 2012; 42: 719-721
- Antimicrobial stewardship programs in health care systems.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2005; 18: 638-656
- Attitudes towards antimicrobial stewardship: results from a large private hospital in Australia.Healthcare Infect. 2014; 19: 89-94
- Knowledge and beliefs on antimicrobial resistance among physicians and nurses in hospitals in Amhara Region, Ethiopia.BMC Pharmacol Toxicol. 2014; 15: 26
- Primary care clinicians' perceptions of antibiotic resistance: a multi-country qualitative interview study.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2013; 68: 237-243
- Pediatrician perceptions of an outpatient antimicrobial stewardship intervention.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: S69-S78
- Nursing research: reading, using, and creating evidence.2nd ed. Jones & Bartlett Learning, Sudbury (MA)2012
- Nurse practitioners' attitudes, perceptions, and knowledge about antimicrobial stewardship.Nurse Pract. 2012; 8: 370-376
- Knowledge, attitudes and practice survey about antimicrobial resistance and prescribing among physicians in a hospital setting in Lima, Peru.BMC Clin Pharmacol. 2011; 11: 18
- Knowledge and perceptions of junior and senior Spanish resident doctors about antibiotic use and resistance: results of a multicenter survey.Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin. 2013; 31: 199-204
- Perception, attitude, and knowledge regarding antimicrobial resistance, appropriate antimicrobial use, and infection control among future medical practitioners: a multicenter study.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016; 37: 603-605
- Antibiotic/antimicrobial resistance.(Available from:)Accessed March 9, 2017)
- Epidemiology of antibiotic use and antimicrobial resistance in selected communities in Thailand.J Med Assoc Thai. 2016; 99: 270-275
- A survey of medical staff attitudes to an antibiotic approval and stewardship programme.Intern Med J. 2009; 39: 662-668
- Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America guidelines for developing an institutional program to enhance antimicrobial stewardship.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; : 159-177
- The WHO policy package to combat antimicrobial resistance.Bull World Health Organ. 2011; 89: 390-392
- Antimicrobial stewardship in Australian hospitals.Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care, Sydney, Australia2011
- Guidance antimicrobial stewardship: start smart—then focus.(Available from:)https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/417032/Start_Smart_Then_Focus_FINAL.PDFDate: 2015Date accessed: January 11, 2017
- Antimicrobial stewardship: the role of the nurse.Nurs Stand. 2013; 28: 46-49
- Professionalism: the importance of trust.Can Med. 2012; : 1455-1456
Funding/support: Supported by a PhD scholarship from the Ramathibodi School of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, Thailand.
Conflicts of interest: None to report.