- •Antimicrobial stewardship is needed in pediatric post-acute care facilities.
- •Less than half of surveyed facilities had implemented stewardship practices.
- •Lack of treatment guidelines was the most commonly identified barrier to stewardship.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Challenges in conducting research in pediatric long-term care facilities.Clin Pediatr. 2014; 53: 1041-1046
- Developing case definitions for health care-associated infections for pediatric long-term care facilities.Clin Pediatr. 2015; 54: 1380-1382
- Healthcare-associated infection outbreaks in pediatric long-term care facilities.Am J Infect Control. 2015; 43: 756-758
- “Silent” dissemination of Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates bearing K. pneumoniae carbapenamase in a long-term care facility for children and young adults in northeast Ohio.Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 54: 1314-1321
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.(The core elements of antibiotic stewardship for nursing homes; Available from:)http://www.cdc.gov/longtermcare/prevention/antibiotic-stewardship.htmlDate accessed: March 24, 2017
- Antibiotic use and resistance in long-term care facilities.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2012; 13: 568.e1-568.e13
- Medicare and medicaid programs; reform of requirements for long-term care facilities.Fed Regist. 2016; 81 (68,688-872)
- U.S. Census Bureau.(Census regions and divisions of the United States; website; Available from:)http://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/maps-data/maps/reference/us_regdiv.pdfDate accessed: March 24, 2017
- Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology guidelines for developing an institutional program to enhance antimicrobial stewardship.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44: 159-177
- Survey of antimicrobial stewardship practices in Nebraska long-term care facilities.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2011; 32: 732-734
- SHEA position paper: antimicrobial use in long-term-care facilities.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2000; 21: 537-545
C.J. was supported by Columbia University (NY), by NIH NIAID T32 Training Grant in Pediatric Infectious Diseases (AI007531). M.J. was supported by the Weinstein Foundation at Columbia University.
The data presented in this paper were presented as an abstract at the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA) Spring 2017 Conference, St Louis, MO, March 29-31, 2017.
Conflicts of Interest: None to report.