- •Healthcare facility-onset Clostridium difficile Laboratory Identification (HO-CDI LabID) events are reported publically and impact facility reputation and reimbursement.
- •At our academic facility, 206 (42%) HO-CDI LabID were “non-true HO-CDI” but positive tests with no significant diarrhea, recent laxative, or delayed testing where diarrhea was present on admission.
- •Facilities' understanding of proportion of HO-CDI that represent inappropriate or delayed tests will help target improvement strategies.
- •Diagnostic stewardship has an important role in ensuring appropriate Clostridium difficile testing.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Medicare hospital compare quality of care.U. S. Government, Baltimore, MD2017 (Available from:)http://www.medicare.gov/hospitalcompare/search.htmlDate accessed: December 11, 2017
- Overdiagnosis of Clostridium difficile infection in the molecular test era.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 1792-1801
- Colonization versus carriage of Clostridium difficile.Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2015; 29: 13-28
- Reduced acquisition and overgrowth of vancomycin-resistant enterococci and Candida species in patients treated with fidaxomicin versus vancomycin for Clostridium difficile infection.Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 55: S121-S126
- Use of the prioritization matrix to enhance triage algorithms in clinical decision support software.Am J Med Qual. 2010; 25: 468-473
- Global antimicrobial resistance surveillance system: manual for early implementation. World Health Organization,
Switzerland2015 (Available from:)http://www.who.int/antimicrobial-resistance/publications/surveillance-system-manual/en/Date accessed: December 11, 2017
- Diagnostic stewardship: leveraging the laboratory to improve antimicrobial use.JAMA. 2017; 318: 607-608
- Rising stakes for health care-associated infection prevention: implications for the clinical microbiology laboratory.J Clin Microbiol. 2017; 55: 996-1001
- Effect of detecting and isolating Clostridium difficile carriers at hospital admission on the incidence of C difficile infections: a quasi-experimental controlled study.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 796-804
Conflicts of interest: None to report.
This work was presented in poster format at IDWeek 2017, San Diego, CA, October 4-8, 2017.