- •Data used to support many practices in the operating room environment are supported by anecdotal data.
- •Certain regulatory agencies have suggested that nonscrubbed operating room personnel wear long sleeves while in the room.
- •Wearing long sleeves and gloves while prepping a mock patient led to decreased large-particle and microbial shedding compared with prepping with bare arms.
- •Wearing of long sleeves and gloves should be considered when applying the skin prep to patients before surgery.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Clothing in laminar-flow operating theatres.J Hosp Infect. 1996; 32: 1-7
- Comparison of two single-use scrub suits in terms of effect on air-borne bacteria in the operating room.J Hosp Infect. 2017; 95: 324-326
- Comparison of bacteria on new, disposable, laundered, and unlaundered hospital scrubs.Am J Infect Control. 2012; 40: 539-543
- Laundering of theatre scrubs at home.J Perioper Pract. 2010; 20: 392-396
- Surgical attire and the operating room: role in infection prevention.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014; 96: 1485-1492
- Reducing wound infections. Improved gown and drape barrier performance.Arch Surg. 1987; 122: 152-157
- Comparison of nonwoven and woven gown and drape fabric to prevent intraoperative wound contamination and postoperative infection.Am J Surg. 1986; 152: 505-509
- Outer gloves in orthopaedic procedures. Cloth compared with latex.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1990; 72: 914-917
- Intraoperative glove perforation. A comparative analysis.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1993; 297: 242-244
- Cost-benefit analysis of different air change rates in an operating room environment.Am J Infect Control. 2017; (pii: S0196-6553:30911-2)
- Effect of laminar airflow ventilation on surgical site infections: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Infect Dis. 2017; 17: 553-561
- Factors contributing to airborne particle dispersal in the operating room.BMC Surg. 2017; 17: 78
- Occlusive scrub suits in operating theaters during cataract surgery: effect on airborne contamination.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2002; 23: 218-220
- Guidelines for surgical attire.in: Guidelines for perioperative practice. 2015: 97-120
- Dispersal of non-sporeforming anaerobic bacteria from the skin.J Hyg (Lond). 1982; 88: 487-500
- Recommended practices for surgical attire.AORN J. 2005; 81: 413-420
- Routes and sources of Staphylococcus aureus transmitted to the surgical wound during cardiothoracic surgery: possibility of preventing wound contamination by use of special scrub suits.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2001; 22: 338-346
- A prospective randomised trial of isolated pathogens of surgical site infections (SSI).Ann Med Surg (Lond). 2017; 21: 25-29
- Surgical site infections following instrumented stabilization of the spine.Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2017; 13: 1239-1245
- Risk factors of cardiac device infection: glove contamination during device procedures.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 866-871
- Penile prosthesis infections—a review of risk factors, prevention, and treatment.Sex Med Rev. 2016; 4: 389-398
- Effects of air exchange rate, particle size and injection place on particle concentrations within a reduced-scale room.Build Environ. 2015; 92: 246-255
- Applications of ultraviolet germicidal irradiation disinfection in health care facilities: effective adjunct, but not stand-alone technology.Am J Infect Control. 2010; 38: S13-S24
- Methodology for analyzing environmental quality indicators in a dynamic operating room environment.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 354-359
This study was funded by the American College of Surgeons (ACS) and the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA).
Conflicts of interest: None to report.