- •Staphylococcus aureus pathogens are frequently transmitted in the operating room environment.
- •Methicillin-resistant S aureus is more transmissible than methicillin-sensitive S aureus.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Predictors of mortality in Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2012; 25: 362-386
- Mortality predictors of Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia: a prospective multicenter study.Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob. 2016; 15: 7
- Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia in older adults: predictors of 7-day mortality and infection with a methicillin-resistant strain.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2006; 27: 1219-1225
- Invasive methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections in the United States.JAMA. 2007; 298: 1763-1771
- Surgical site infections: epidemiology, microbiology and prevention.J Hosp Infect. 2008; 70: 3-10
- Impact of treating Staphylococcus aureus nasal carriers on wound infections in cardiac surgery.J Hosp Infect. 2006; 64: 162-168
- Preventing surgical-site infections in nasal carriers of Staphylococcus aureus.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 9-17
- Molecular epidemiology of microbial contamination in the operating room environment: is there a risk for infection?.Surgery. 2005; 138: 573-582
- Prevalence of antiseptic-resistance genes in Staphylococcus aureus and coagulase-negative staphylococci colonizing nurses and the general population in Hong Kong.J Hosp Infect. 2011; 78: 113-117
- The epidemiology of Staphylococcus aureus transmission in the anesthesia work area.Anesth Analg. 2015; 120: 807-818
- MRSA and the environment: implications for comprehensive control measures.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2008; 27: 481-493
- Long-term in-vitro survival of an epidemic MRSA phage-group III-29 strain.J Hosp Infect. 1997; 35: 322-325
- The incidence of MRSA infections in the United States: is a more comprehensive tracking system needed?.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2017; 6: 34
- Multiple reservoirs contribute to intraoperative bacterial transmission.Anesth Analg. 2012; 114: 1236-1248
- Reduction in intraoperative bacterial contamination of peripheral intravenous tubing through the use of a passive catheter care system.Anesth Analg. 2012; 115: 1315-1323
- Prevention of intravenous bacterial injection from health care provider hands: the importance of catheter design and handling.Anesth Analg. 2012; 115: 1109-1119
- Reduction in intraoperative bacterial contamination of peripheral intravenous tubing through the use of a novel device.Anesthesiology. 2009; 110: 978-985
- Methods for dilution antimicrobial susceptibility tests for bacteria that grow aerobically; approved standards-ninth edition.Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne (PA)2012 (CLSI document M07-A9.)
- Fixed Ploidy Variant Detection.(Available from:)http://resources.qiagenbioinformatics.com/manuals/clcgenomicsworkbench/755/index.php?manual=Fixed_Ploidy_Variant_Detection.htmlDate accessed: April 20, 2017
- Solving the problem of comparing whole bacterial genomes across different sequencing platforms.PLoS ONE. 2014; 9 (e104984)
- Study on the efficacy of nosocomial infection control (SENIC Project). Summary of study design.Am J Epidemiol. 1980; 111: 472-485
- Tips for teachers of evidence-based medicine: understanding odds ratios and their relationship to risk ratios.J Gen Intern Med. 2008; 23: 635-640
- A modified Poisson regression approach to prospective studies with binary data.Am J Epidemiol. 2004; 159: 702-706
- How can I estimate relative risk using GLM for common outcomes in cohort studies?.(Available from:)https://stats.idre.ucla.edu/stata/faq/how-can-i-estimate-relative-risk-using-glm-for-common-outcomes-in-cohort-studies/Date accessed: December 7, 2017
- Is methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus more contagious than methicillin-susceptible S. aureus in a surgical intensive care unit?.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2002; 23: 491-494
- A network model of hand hygiene: how good is good enough to stop the spread of MRSA?.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2017; 38: 945-952
- Increased mortality associated with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection in the intensive care unit: results from the EPIC II study.Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2011; 38: 331-335
- Comparative effectiveness review. Screening for MRSA, executive summary.(Available from:)http://effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/ehc/products/228/1551/MRSA-screening-executive-130617.pdfDate accessed: December 7, 2017
- Antimicrobial resistance. Global report on surveillance.WHO, Geneva, Switzerland2014
- Updated guidelines for evaluating public health surveillance systems: recommendations from the guidelines working group.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2001; 50: 1-35
- Microbial contamination in the anesthesia workspace.(Are We as Clean as We Think? American Society of Anesthesiologists Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, October 13-17)2007 (Abstract Number: A1788)
- Guidelines for the validation and application of typing methods for use in bacterial epidemiology.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2007; 13: 1-46
Funding/support: Supported by The University of Iowa .
Conflicts of interest: R.W.L. reports research funding from Sage Medical, has ≥1 patents pending, and is a shareholder in RDB Bioinformatics. A.D.M.R. and F.D. have no conflicts of interest.
Author contributions: R.W.L. helped design the study, conduct the study, analyze the data, and write the manuscript. F.D. helped analyze the data and write the manuscript. A.D.M.R. helped conduct the study. All authors approved the final version of the manuscript.