- •No studies have investigated the impact of real-time notification of culture results with rapid antimicrobial stewardship program (ASP) intervention in the setting of Clostridium difficile infection (CDI).
- •The implementation of a real-time notification system to alert a pharmacist-led ASP of CDI is a valuable strategy for decreasing time to effective antimicrobial therapy.
- •Real-time notification may lead to increased compliance and time to implementation of contact precautions.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Clostridium difficile infection.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 1539-1548
- Clostridium difficile toxins: mechanism of action and role in disease.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2005; 18: 247-263
- Burden of Clostridium difficile infection in the United States.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 825-834
- Antibiotic resistance threats in the United States.US Department of Health and Human Services, CDC, Atlanta (GA)2013
- Burden of Clostridium difficile on the healthcare system.Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 55: S88-S92
- Impact of a reduction in the use of high-risk antibiotics on the course of an epidemic of Clostridium difficile-associated disease caused by the hypervirulent NAP1/027 strain.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 45: S112-S121
- Favorable impact of a multidisciplinary antibiotic management program conducted during 7 years.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2003; 24: 699-706
- Clinical practice guidelines for Clostridium difficile infection in adults: 2010 update by the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA) and the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA).Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 431-455
- Nosocomial acquisition of Clostridium difficile infection.N Engl J Med. 1989; 320: 204-210
- Control of an outbreak of infection with the hypervirulent Clostridium difficile BI strain in a university hospital using a comprehensive “bundle” approach.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 45: 1266-1273
- Successful use of feedback to improve antibiotic prescribing and reduce Clostridium difficile infection: a controlled interrupted time series.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2007; 59: 990-995
- Empiric antibiotic treatment reduces mortality in severe sepsis and septic shock from the first hour: results from a guideline-based performance improvement program.Crit Care Med. 2014; 42: 1749-1755
- Duration of hypotension before initiation of effective antimicrobial therapy is the critical determinant of survival in human septic shock.Crit Care Med. 2006; 34: 1589-1596
Conflicts of interest: Nothing to report.