- •HCWs demonstrated poor familiarity with the My 5 Moments for Hand Hygiene.
- •The role of protective gloves in preventing HAI was overestimated by patients and HCWs.
- •The oldest patients and those with vocational education highly appreciated the use of gloves.
- •HCWs with lower seniority and students attached greater importance to the use of gloves.
- •Involving patients in creating a safe health care environment remains a huge challenge.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- WHO guidelines on hand hygiene in health care. Global patient safety challenge. Clean care is safer care.WHO Press, Geneva, Switzerland2009
- My five moments for hand hygiene: a user—centred design approach to understand, train, monitor and report hand hygiene.J Hosp Infect. 2007; 67: 9-12
- Epic3: national evidence based guidelines for preventing healthcare-associated infections in NHS hospitals in England.J Hosp Infect. 2014; 86: 1-70
- Patient experiences of partnering with healthcare professionals for hand hygiene compliance: a systematic review.JBI Database Syst Rev Implement Rep. 2017; 15: 1645-1670
- Glove utilization in the prevention of cross transmission: a systematic review.JBI Database Syst Rev Implement Rep. 2015; 13: 188-230
- Disinfection of gloved hands for multiple activities with indicated glove use on the same patient.J Hosp Infect. 2017; 97: 3-10
- A systematic review of hand hygiene improvement strategies: a behavioural approach.Implement Sci. 2012; 7: 92
- Can intersectional innovations reduce hospital infection?.J Hosp Infect. 2017; 95: 129-134
- Over-reporting in handwashing self-reports: potential explanatory factors and alternative measurements.PLoS ONE. 2015; 10 (e0136445)
- Exploring optimistic bias and the integrative model of behavioral prediction in the context of a campus influenza outbreak.J Health Commun. 2013; 18: 206-222
- Poor hand hygiene procedure compliance among Polish medical students and physicians-the result of an ineffective education basis or the impact of organizational culture?.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017; 14
Conflicts of interest: None to report.