- •88% of facilities participating in the Clean Collaborative achieved the goal of a 10% reduction in RLUs from the baseline month to the final month.
- •Clean Collaborative-participating facilities achieved a 14.2% decrease in Clostridium difficle rates compared to only a 5.9% decrease among non-participating facilities.
- •Window sills in patient rooms, which are not identified by the CDC as a high-touch surface area, were observed to have higher levels of biofilm.
- •The collaborative process is an excellent tool for bringing together environmental services professionals and infection preventionists in the service of common/shared goals.
- •Facilities implemented engineering controls and behavioral changes as a result of the Collaborative educational process.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Health care–associated infections.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 2039
- Role of hospital surfaces in the transmission of emerging health care-associated pathogens: Norovirus, Clostridium difficile, and Acinetobacter species.Am J Infect Control. 2010; 38: S25-S33
- Contamination, disinfection, and cross-colonization: are hospital surfaces reservoirs for nosocomial infection?.Clin Infect Dis. 2004; 39: 1182-1189
- Monitoring the effectiveness of cleaning in four British hospitals.Am J Infect Control. 2007; 35: 338-341
- Diagnostic assessment of different environmental cleaning monitoring methods.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 751-752
- Environmental checklist for monitoring terminal cleaning.(Available from)Accessed February 16, 2017)
- CDC/NHSN Surveillance Definitions for Specific Types of Infections.(Available from)Accessed March 18, 2018)
- Compliance with antiseptic hand rub use in intensive care units: the Hawthorne effect.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2006; 27: 931-934
Conflicts of interest: None to report.