Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Infectious disease in the aging.Lancet Infect Dis. 2011; 11: 271
- Clinical relevance of age-related immune dysfunction.Clin Infect Dis. 2000; 31: 578-585
- Urinary tract infections in geriatric patients. Web Med Central.Nephrology. 2013; 4 (1 WMC003968)
- Urinary tract infections in older women. a clinical review.JAMA. 2014; 311: 844-854
- Bacteremia in the elderly.J Gen Intern Med. 1993; 8: 89-92
- Infection in the elderly.Infect Dis Clin. 2007; 21: 711-743
- Diagnostic challenge of blood stream infections in long-term care.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2011; 12: 166-168
- Antimicrobial resistance and aging: beginning of the end of the antibiotic era?.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002; 50: S226-S229
- Extended-spectrum beta-lactamases in the 21st century: characterization, epidemiology, and detection of this important resistance threat.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2001; 14: 933-951
- Carriage of ESBL-producing Enterobacteriaceae in French hospitals: the PORTABLSE study.J Hosp Infect. 2018; 98: 247-252
- Incidence of Extended-Spectrum β-Lactamase (ESBL)-producing Escherichia coli and Klebsiella infections in the United States: a systematic literature review.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2017; 38: 1209-1215
- Do we really know the prevalence of multi-drug resistantEscherichia coli in the territorial and nosocomial population?.Urol Ann. 2013; 5: 25-29
- Epidemiology, risk factors and comorbidity for urinary tract infections caused by extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL)-producing enterobacteria.Int J Clin Pract. 2012; 66: 891-896
- High burden of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-positive Escherichia coli in geriatric patients.J Med Microbiol. 2014; 63: 878-883
- Extended spectrum beta-lactamase carriage state among elderly nursing home residents in Beirut.Sci World J. 2015; 2015 (Article ID 987580): 1-7
- Prevalence of rectal carriage of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli among elderly people in community settings in China.Can J Microbiol. 2008; 54: 781-785
- The prevalence of ESBL-producing Enterobacteriaceae in a nursing home setting compared with elderly living at home: a cross-sectional comparison.BMC Infect Dis. 2016; 16: 111
- Extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Enterobacteriacae: unexpected low prevalence of carriage in elderly French residents.Age Ageing. 2012; 41: 233-237
- Nursing homes as a reservoir of ESBL-producing ciprofloxacin-resistant E. coli.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2009; 64: 635-641
- Prevention of urinary tract infections in nursing homes: lack of evidence-based prescription?.BMC Geriatr. 2011; 11: 69
- Hospital-acquired urinary tract infections.Medicina (Kaunas). 2006; 42: 957-964
- Hospital acquired urinary tract infection.Int J Clin Pract. 2003; 57: 388-391
Funding: The study did not have specific funding.
Conflicts of interest: The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
Ethics approval: The study was approved by the institutional ethics committee.
Informed consent: For this type of study, formal consent is not required.