- •All nail products tested become more contaminated with bacteria over time.
- •Gel nails may be more difficult to clean using alcohol hand gel.
- •Increased bacterial burden was not found on gel nails worn by health care workers.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- WHO guidelines on hand hygiene in health care.(Available from:)http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/44102/1/9789241597906_eng.pdfDate: 2009Date accessed: March 24, 2017
- Guideline for hand hygiene in healthcare settings.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2002; 23: S3-41
- Pathogenic organisms associated with artificial fingernails work by healthcare workers.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2000; 21: 505-509
- Bacterial carriage by artificial versus natural nails.Am J Infect Control. 1989; 17: 340-344
- A prolonged outbreak of Pseudomonas aeruginosa in a neonatal intensive care unit: did staff fingernails play a role in disease transmission?.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2000; 21: 80-85
- Outbreak of extended-spectrum beta lactamase producing Klebsiella pneumoniae in a neonatal intensive care unit linked to artificial nails.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2004; 25: 210-215
- A cluster of hemodialysis-related bacteremia linked to artificial fingernails.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2007; 28: 743-744
- Effects of nail polish on microbial growth of fingernails.AORN J. 1993; 58: 84-88
- Removal of nail polish and finger rings to prevent surgical infection.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; (CD003325)
Previous presentation: Presented as an abstract to the Association of periOperative Registered Nurses Global Surgical Conference & Expo, Boston, MA, April 1-5, 2017.
Funding/support: Supported by an intramural grant from The Western University of Health Sciences .
Conflicts of interest: None to report.