- •S. aureus was recovered from earlobes of nurses who had pierced earring hole.
- •50% of S. aureus positive in earlobe nurse were also be positive on their fingers.
- •Contaminated pierced earlobes with S. aureus can be a source of HAI.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Bacterial chondritis complications following ear piercing.Med Mal Infect. 2017; 47: 26-31
- Transcartilaginous ear piercing and infectious complications: a systematic review and critical analysis of outcomes.Laryngoscope. 2015; 125: 1827-1834
- Body piercing: medical consequences and psychological motivations.Lancet. 2003; 361: 1205-1215
- Methods for dilution antimicrobial susceptibility tests for bacteria that grow aerobically; approved standard-ninth edition.(CLSI document M07-A9. Wayne, PA)2012
- Performance standards for antimicrobial disk susceptibility tests; approved standard-eleventh edition.(CLSI document M02-A11. Wayne, PA)2012
- Multiplex PCR strategy for rapid identification of structural types and variants of the mec element in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2002; 46: 2155-2161
- Genomic DNA fingerprinting by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis as an epidemiological marker for study of nosocomial infections caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.J Clin Microbiol. 1991; 29: 2690-2695
- Interpreting chromosomal DNA restriction patterns produced by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis: criteria for bacterial strain typing.J Clin Microbiol. 1995; 33: 2233-2239
- The role of nasal carriage in Staphylococcus aureus infections.Lancet Infect Dis. 2005; 5: 751-762
- The human microbiome.in: Jorgensen J.H. Manual of clinical microbiology. 11th ed. ASM Press, Washington, DC2015: 226-237
- Staphylococcus aureus surface contamination of mobile phones and presence of genetically identical strains on the hands of nursing personnel.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 929-931
- Ear piercing for individuals with metal hypersensitivity.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2001; 125: 93-95
- Piercing and metal sensitivity: extended analysis of the North American Contact Dermatitis Group Data, 2007-2014.Dermatitis. 2017; 28: 333-341
- Face touching: a frequent habit that has implications for hand hygiene.Am J Infect Control. 2015; 43: 112-114
- A study quantifying the hand-to-face contact rate and its potential application to predicting respiratory tract infection.J Occup Environ Hyg. 2008; 5: 347-352
- Identification badge lanyards as infection control risk: a cross-sectional observation study with epidemiological analysis.J Hosp Infect. 2017; 96: 63-66
Conflicts of interest: None to report.
Supported by JSPS KAKENHI (grant Nos. JP26460782 and and JP17K09133) .
At the time the study was conducted, MT, MN, and KK were with Department of Nursing, Toho University Ohashi Medical Center, Meguro-ku, Tokyo, Japan