- •Bath basins are potential reservoirs of microorganisms linked to health care–associated infections.
- •There were no standardized procedures for patient bathing.
- •Standardized procedures for use, storage, and disposal of bath basins are lacking.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC]. HAI data and statistics. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/hai/surveillance/index.html. Accessed January 17, 2018.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC]. CDC at work: Preventing healthcare-associated infections. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/washington/∼cdcatWork/pdf/infections.pdf. Accessed January 17, 2018.
- Patients’ bath basins as potential sources of infection: a multicenter sampling study.Am J Crit Care. 2009; 18: 31-38
- Hospital bath basins are frequently contaminated with multi-drug-resistant human pathogens.Am J Infect Control. 2012; 40: 562-564
- Reducing the risk of infection when using a bath basin.Home Healthcare Now. 2016; 34: 339
- CHG gluconate use to prevent hospital acquired infection—a useful tool, not a panacea.Ann Translational Med. 2017; 5: 14
Allen VG, Kohan C, Smith BA. CHG crosswalk: critical guideline review. Available from: http://www.industryperspectives.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/CHG-crosswalk_PS1504-winter.pdf. Accessed January 17, 2018.
- Chlorohexidine bathing and health care-associated infections: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2015; 313: 369-378
- Effect of daily chlorohexidine bathing on hospital-acquired infection.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 533-542
- Daily chlorohexidine bathing to reduce bacteraemia in critically ill children: a multicenter, cluster-randomized, crossover trial.Lancet. 2013; 384: 1099-1106
- Effect of chlorohexidine bathing every other day on prevention of hospital-acquired infections in the surgical ICU: a single-center, randomized controlled trial.Crit Care Med. 2016; 44: 1822-1832
- Beds, baths, and bottoms: a quality improvement initiative to standardize use of beds, bathing techniques, and skin care in a general critical-care unit.Dimens Crit Care Nurs. 2011; 30: 169-176
- Hygiene.Fundamentals of nursing 9th ed. St. Louis (MO): Elsevier;. 2017; (In:) (p. 854-61)
- Fundamentals of nursing: the art and science of person-centered nursing care 8th ed. Philadelphia (PA): Wolters Kluwer;. 2015;
- Improving efficiency, reducing infection, and enhancing experience.Br J Nurs. 2010; 19: 1408-1414
- Chlorhexidine bathing and microbial contamination in patients’ bath basins.Am J Crit Care. 2012; 21: 338-342
Raosoft Inc. Sample size calculator. Available from: http://www.raosoft.com/samplesize.html. Accessed September 21, 2016.
- Bed bathing patients in hospital.Nurs Stand. 2008; 22: 35-40
Conflicts of interest: None to report.