- •Needlestick and sharps injuries are a serious problem for health care workers (HCWs).
- •As a result of these injuries, HCWs may be infected with bloodborne pathogens.
- •HCWs may not know what to do after an injury and may not report the situation.
- •A hospital infection control committee can take an active role in this issue.
- •Training is important for the proper management of needlestick and sharps injuries.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Clinical, economic, and humanistic burden of needlestick injuries in healthcare workers.Med Devices (Auckl). 2017; 10: 225-235
- Healthcare-associated Crimean-Congo haemorrhagic fever in Turkey, 2002-2014: a multicentre retrospective cross-sectional study.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2016; 22: 387.e1-387.e4
- Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever among health care workers.Turkey. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014; 20: 477-479
- Management of sharps injuries in the healthcare setting.BMJ. 2015; 351: h3733
- Contamination incidents among doctors and midwives: reasons for non-reporting and knowledge of risks.Occup Med. 1997; 47: 357-360
- Impact of introduction of sharps containers and of education programmes on the pattern of needle stick injuries in a tertiary care centre in India.J Hosp Infect. 2001; 47: 163-165
- The effect of training on the notification of sharp instrument injuries.Mediterr J Infect Microb Antimicrob. 2014; 3: 21
- Impact of infection control activities on the rate of needle stick injuries at a tertiary care hospital of Pakistan over a period of six years: an observational study.BMC Infect Dis. 2009; 9: 78
- The effectiveness of a training program on reducing needlestick injuries/sharp object injuries among soon graduate vocational nursing school students in southern Taiwan.J Occup Health. 2007; 49: 424-429
- The frequency and causes of occupational injuries among nursing students in Turkey.Arch Environ Occup Health. 2012; 67: 72-77
- Occupational exposure to blood and body fluids among health care workers in Ankara, Turkey.Am J Infect Control. 2005; 33: 48-52
- Occupational exposures to blood and body fluids among health care workers: a questionary survey.Mikrobiyol Bul. 2008; 42: 61-69
- Risk of needle stick and sharp object injuries among medical students.Am J Infect Control. 1999; 27: 435-437
- Healthcare workers' attitudes and compliance with universal precautions gender, occupation, and specialty differences.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1997; 18: 710-712
- Underreporting of needlestick and sharps injuries among healthcare workers in a Swiss University Hospital.Swiss Med Wkly. 2012; 142: w13523
- Reducing the underreporting of percutaneous exposure incidents: a single-center experience.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 941-943
- The reporting of needlestick injuries sustained in theatre by surgeons: are we under-reporting?.J Hosp Infect. 2008; 70: 66-70
- Dumpster diving in sharps disposal containers: what's really inside?.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1996; 17: 570-571
- Needle stick injuries—risk and preventive factors: a study among health care workers in tertiary care hospitals in Pakistan.Glob J Health Sci. 2013; 5: 85-92
- Occurrence of needlestick and injuries among health-care workers of a tertiary care teaching hospital in North India.J Lab Physicians. 2017; 9: 20-25
- Lack of risk-awareness and reporting behavior towards HIV infection through needlestick injury among European medical students.Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2011; 214: 407-410
- An assessment of sharp injuries to workers in a state hospital.Klimik Dergisi. 2017; 30: 78-82
- Sharps injuries in the operating room.Environ Health Prev Med. 2014; 19: 348-353
- Needlestick injuries among surgeons in training.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 2693-2699
- Evaluation of sharp object injuries in healthcare personnel working in Diyarbakir Gazi Yasargil Training and Research Hospital.Mediterranean J Infect Microbes Antimicrob. 2015; 4: 9
- Impact of infection control educational activities on rates and frequencies of percutaneous injuries (PIs) at a tertiary care hospital in Saudi Arabia.J Infect Public Health. 2012; 5: 297-303
- Educational programmes and sharps injuries in health care workers.Occup Med (Lond). 2009; 59: 512-514
Conflicts of interest: None to report.