- •Stethoscopes were disinfected in 72 of 400 observed encounters (18%).
- •Only 15 of the observed disinfections (3.8% of 400 encounters) were compliant with US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines.
- •No stethoscopes were disinfected before use near open chest or abdominal wounds.
- •Hands were cleaned before and after encounters only 27 times (6.8% of 400).
- •Hands were not cleaned at all in 58% of encounters, although gloves were often worn.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Multistate point-prevalence survey of health care-associated infections.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 1198-1208
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Healthcare-associated infections. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/hai/data/archive/archive.html. Updated October 9, 2018. Accessed October 21, 2018.
- Contamination of stethoscopes and physicians' hands after a physical examination.Mayo Clin Proc. 2014; 89: 291-299
- The stethoscope and healthcare-associated infection: a snake in the grass or innocent bystander?.J Hosp Infect. 2015; 91: 1-7
- Why, when and how to clean stethoscopes.J Hosp Infect. 1998; 39: 80-82
- The stethoscope in the emergency department: a vector of infection?.Epidemiol Infect. 2000; 124: 233-237
- Bacterial contamination of stethoscopes on the intensive care unit.Anaesthesia. 2009; 64: 620-624
- Contaminated stethoscopes: a potential source of nosocomial infections.Yale J Biol Med. 1972; 45: 600-604
- Prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus on the stethoscopes of emergency medical services providers.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2009; 13: 71-74
- Does regular cleaning of stethoscopes result in a reduction in nosocomial infections?.Arch Dis Child. 2012; 97: 175-177
- Evidence against transmission of Pseudomonas aeruginosa by hands and stethoscopes in a cystic fibrosis unit.J Hosp Infect. 2002; 50: 324-326
- Stethoscopes as possible vectors of infection by staphylococci.BMJ. 1992; 305: 1573-1574
- Die aetiologie, der begriff und die prophylaxis des kindbettfiebers.Hartleben, Leipzig, Germany1861
- The effectiveness of hand hygiene procedures in reducing the risks of infections in home and community settings including handwashing and alcohol-based hand sanitizers.Am J Infect Control. 2007; 35: S27-S64
Rutala WA, Weber DJ, Weinsten RA; the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC). Guideline for disinfection and sterilization in healthcare facilities, 2008. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/pdf/guidelines/disinfection-guidelines.pdf. Updated February 15, 2017. Accessed September 13, 2017.
- Bacterial contamination of stethoscopes used by health workers: public health implications.J Infect Dev Ctries. 2010; 4: 436-441
Centers for Disease Control and PreventionHow to remove gloves. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/pdf/poster-how-to-remove-gloves.pdf. Accessed September 13, 2017.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Guideline for hand hygiene in health-care settings. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/rr/rr5116.pdf. Accessed September 13, 2017.
- Predictors of stethoscope disinfection among pediatric health care providers.Am J Infect Control. 2012; 40: 922-925
- The third hand: low rates of stethoscope hygiene on general medical services.J Hosp Med. 2015; 10: 457-458
- Can education influence stethoscope hygiene?.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 811-812
- A cluster of nosocomial Klebsiella pneumoniae bloodstream infections in a neonatal intensive care department: identification of transmission and intervention.Am J Infect Control. 2003; 31: 424-430
- Factors leading to transmission risk of Acinetobacter baumannii.Crit Care Med. 2017; 45: e633-e639
- Predictors of stethoscope contamination following a standardized physical exam.BMC Proc. 2011; 5: 304
- Predictors of heavy stethoscope contamination following a physical examination.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016; 37: 673-679
- Evidence of self-report bias in assessing adherence to guidelines.Int J Qual Health Care. 1999; 11: 187-192
- Recall bias in epidemiologic studies.J Clin Epidemiol. 1990; 43: 87-91
- Measurement of compliance with hand hygiene.J Hosp Infect. 2007; 66: 6-14
Conflicts of interest: None to report.