- Stakeholders’ Perspectives on Stakeholder-engaged Research (SER): strategies to operationalize patient-centered outcomes research principles for SER.Med Care. 2017; 55: 19-30
- How best to engage patients, doctors, and other stakeholders in designing comparative effectiveness studies.Health Aff (Milwood). 2010; 29: 1834-1841
Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute. What we mean by engagement. Available from: http://www.pcori.org/funding-opportunities/what-we-mean-engagement. Accessed June 26, 2018.
- Methods and impact of engagement in research, from theory to practice and back again: early findings from the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute.Qual Life Res. 2017; 27: 17-31
- Uncovering the benefits of participatory research: implications of a realist review for health research and practice.Milbank Q. 2012; 90: 311-346
- A systematic review of the impact of patient and public involvement on service users, researchers and communities..Patient. 2014; 7: 387-395
Brett J, Staniszewska S, Mockford C, Herron-Marx S, Hughes J, Tysall C, et al. Mapping the impact of patient and public involvement on health and social care research: a systematic review. Health Expect 2014;17:637-50.
- A systematic review of stakeholder engagement in comparative effectiveness and patient-centered outcomes research.J Gen Intern Med. 2014; 29: 1692-1701
- Patient engagement in research: a systematic review.BMC Health Serv Res. 2014; 14: 89
- Patient and service user engagement in research: a systematic review and synthesized framework.Health Expect. 2015; 18: 1151-1166
- Patient engagement in patient-centered outcomes research: challenges, facilitators and actions to strengthen the field.J Comp Eff Res. 2017; 6: 363-373
- AHRQ Methods for Effective Health Care.Defining the Benefits of Stakeholder Engagement in Systematic Reviews. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US), Rockville(MD)2014
- Defining the user role in infection control.J Hosp Infect. 2016; 92: 321-327
- “I don't want to cause any trouble”: the attitudes of hospital patients towards patient empowerment strategies to reduce healthcare-acquired infections.J Infect Prev. 2015; 16: 167-173
- Involving patients in understanding hospital infection control using visual methods.J Clin Nurs. 2015; 24: 1718-1729
Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute. Building Capacity to Improve Prevention Strategies and Treatment Options for Healthcare-Associated Infections. Available from: https://www.pcori.org/research-results/2015/building-capacity-improve-prevention-strategies-and-treatment-options. Accessed June 26, 2018.
National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences. About the CSTA Program. Available from: https://ncats.nih.gov/ctsa/about. Accessed June 26, 2018.
University of Wisconsin Institute for Clinical and Translational Research. Stakeholder Engagement Resources. Available from: https://ictr.wisc.edu/stakeholder-engagement-resources/. Accessed June 26, 2018.
- The power of the personal: breaking down stereotypes and building human connections.Narrat Inq Bioeth. 2017; 7:: 27-30
- A case study of engaging hard‐to‐ reach participants in the research process: Community Advisors on Research Design and Strategies (CARDS).Res Nurs Health. 2017; 40:: 70-79
- Toolkit on Patient Partner Engagement in Research.(Available from)https://www.hipxchange.org/TOPPER(Accessed June 26, 2018)Date: 2014
- The evolving landscape of healthcare-associated infections: recent advances in prevention and a road map for research.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 480-493
- A new taxonomy for stakeholder engagement in patient-centered outcomes research.J Gen Intern Med. 2012; 27: 985-991
- A model for incorporating patient and stakeholder voices in a learning health care network: Washington State's Comparative Effectiveness Research Translation Network.J Clin Epidemiol. 2013; 66: S122-S129
- Patient and clinician views on comparative effectiveness research and engagement in research.J Comp Eff Res. 2015; 4: 11-25
- Conceptual and practical foundations of patient engagement in research at the patient-centered outcomes research institute.Qual Life Res. 2015; 24: 1033-1041
- “Part of the team”: mapping the outcomes of training patients for new roles in health research and planning.Health Expect. 2017; 20: 1428-1436
- Authentic engagement of patients and communities can transform research, practice, and policy.Health Aff (Millwood). 2016; 35: 590-594
Vanderbilt Institute for Clinical and Translational Research. Community Engagement Studio Toolkit. Available from: https://victr.vanderbilt.edu/pub/resources/upload/files/CES%20Toolkit.pdf. Accessed June 26, 2018.
- Engaging Veterans in Research Toolkit.(Available from)Accessed June 26, 2018)
Planetree International. Patient Engagement in Research: A Toolkit for Patient-Family Advisory Councils. Available from: http://planetree.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Patient-Engagement-in-Research-A-Toolkit-for-PFACs.pdf. Accessed June 26, 2018.
- Planning for consumer and community participation in health and medical research: a practical guide for health and medical researchers.(Available from)Accessed June 26, 2018)
Financial support: N.S. received a Eugene Washington PCORI Engagement Award from the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (2680-UWisc).
Conflicts of interest: None to report.