Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Safe use of personal protective equipment in the treatment of infectious diseases of high consequence. Available from: https://ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/safe-use-personal-protective-equipment-treatment-infectious-diseases-high. Accessed October 29, 2018.
Occupational Safety and Health Administration. Personal protective equipment. Available from: https://www.osha.gov/Publications/osha3151.pdf. Accessed October 29, 2018.
- Particulate face masks for protection against airborne pathogens—one size does not fit all: an observational study.Crit Care Resusc. 2010; 12: 24-27
Los Angeles Times. Study reveals why gowns and gloves can be so dangerous for hospital workers. Available from: http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-hospital-contamination-gowns-gloves-fail-20151011-story.html. Accessed October 29, 2018.
- Preventing infections in the ICU: one size does not fit all.JAMA. 2013; 310: 1567-1568
Electronic Library of Construction Occupational Safety and Health. Personal protective equipment for women—addressing the need. Available from: http://elcosh.org/document/1198/d001110/PersonalProtectiveEquipmentforWomen-AddressingtheNeed.html. Accessed October 29, 2018.
Janocha JA, Smith RT. Workplace safety and health in the health care and social assistance industry. Available from: https://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/cwc/workplace-safety-and-health-in-the-health-care-and-social-assistance-industry-2003-07.pdf. Accessed June 19, 2018.
- Preventing transmission of pandemic influenza and other viral respiratory diseases: personal protective equipment for healthcare workers.(editors) National Academies Press, WashingtonDC2011
- Women, work, and health: issues of importance to the occupational health nurse.Occup Health Nurs. 1983; 31: 18-23
- Variation in health care worker removal of personal protective equipment.Am J Infect Control. 2015; 43: 750-751
- Training retention of level C personal protective equipment use by emergency medical services personnel.Acad Emerg Med. 2007; 14: 846-849
Infection Control Today. The role of personal protective equipment in infection prevention history. Available from: https://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/personal-protective-equipment/role-personal-protective-equipment-infection-prevention-history. Accessed October 29, 2018.
- Lessons from the SARS crisis—more relevant than ever.Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2006; 35: 299-300
- Research gaps in protecting healthcare workers from SARS and other respiratory pathogens: an interdisciplinary, multi-stakeholder, evidence-based approach.J Occup Environ Med. 2005; 47: 41-50
- Appropriate use of personal protectiveequipment among healthcare workers in public sector hospitals and primary healthcare polyclinics during the SARS outbreak in Singapore.Occup Environ Med. 2005; 62: 473-477
- The use of personal protective equipment for control of influenza among critical care clinicians:a survey study.Crit Care Med. 2009; 37: 1210-1216
- Are health care personnel trained in correct use of personal protective equipment?.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 840-842
- Occupational exposure to infection risk and use of personal protective equipment by emergency medical personnel in the Republic of Korea.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 647-651
- Contamination of health care personnel during removal of personal protective equipment.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 1904-1910
- Factors influencing nurses’ compliance with standard precautions in order to avoid occupational exposure to microorganisms: a focus group study.BMC Nurs. 2011; 10: 1
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Protecting healthcare personnel. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/hai/prevent/ppe.html. Accessed October 29, 2018.
- A review of isolation gowns in healthcare: fabric and gown properties.J Eng Fiber Fabr. 2015; 10: 180-190
- Isolation gowns in health care settings: laboratory studies, regulations and standards, and potential barriers of gown selection and use.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 104-111
US Food and Drug Administration. Questions about personal protective equipment (PPE). Available from: https://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/GeneralHospitalDevicesandSupplies/PersonalProtectiveEquipment/ucm055943.htm. Accessed October 29, 2018.
ASTM International. Standard specification for rubber examination gloves. Available from: https://www.astm.org/Standards/D3578.htm. Accessed October 29, 2018.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Proper respirator use, storage, maintenance, repair, disposal. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/hospresptoolkit/properusestorage.html. Accessed October 29, 2018.
- Product development: a structured approach to consumer product development, design, and manufacture.2nd ed. Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands2014
- The mechanical design process. 2. McGraw-Hill, New YorkNY1992 (Vol)
- Prototyping.Product design and development. McGraw-Hill, New YorkNY2016: 291-311
- The design of everyday things.Rev. ed. Basic Books, New YorkNY2013
Funding/support: All authors were supported in the conduction of this work byCenters for Disease Control and Prevention grant CK000448-02 to the senior author (L.A.H.) .
Conflicts of interest: None to report.