Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
Fields R. Outpatient surgeries outnumber inpatient surgeries at 53M procedures a year. Available from: https://www.beckersasc.com/news-analysis/outpatient-surgeries-outnumber-inpatient-surgeries-at-53m-procedures-a-year.html. Accessed January 2019.
- Burden of gastrointestinal disease in the United States: 2012 update.Gastroenterology. 2012; 143: 1179-1187
- Outbreaks of carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae infections associated with duodenoscopes: what can we do to prevent infections?.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 47-51
- Disinfection and sterilization: an overview.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 2-5
Rutala WA, Weber DJ; Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. Guideline for disinfection and sterilization in healthcare facilities, 2008 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/pdf/guidelines/disinfection-guidelines.pdf. Accessed January 2019.
- Disinfection, sterilization, and antisepsis: an overview.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 1-6
Rutala WA, Weber DJ. Disinfection, sterilization, and control of hospital waste. In: Bennett JE, Dolan R, Blaser MJ, editors. Principles and practice of infectious diseases. Philadelphia (PA): Elsevier. In press.
- Chemical disinfection of medical and surgical materials.in: Lawrence C Block SS Disinfection, sterilization, and preservation. Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia (PA)1968: 517-531
- CDC guidelines for the prevention and control of nosocomial infections. Guideline for hospital environmental control.Am J Infect Control. 1983; 11: 97-120
- APIC guideline for selection and use of disinfectants. 1994, 1995, and 1996 APIC Guidelines Committee. Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc.Am J Infect Control. 1996; 24: 313-342
- Disinfection: is it time to reconsider Spaulding?.J Hosp Infect. 2011; 78: 163-170
- Comparison of ion plasma, vaporized hydrogen peroxide, and 100% ethylene oxide sterilizers to the 12/88 ethylene oxide gas sterilizer.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1996; 17: 92-100
- Efficacy of a washer-disinfector in eliminating healthcare-associated pathogens from surgical instruments.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 883-885
- Monitoring and improving the effectiveness of cleaning medical and surgical devices.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 56-59
- High-level disinfection, sterilization, and antisepsis: current issues in reprocessing medical and surgical instruments.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 111-117
Food and Drug Administration. Infections associated with reprocessed duodenoscopes. Available from: https://www.fda.gov/medicaldevices/productsandmedicalprocedures/reprocessingofreusablemedicaldevices/ucm454630.htm#meeting. Accessed January 2019.
- What's new in reprocessing endoscopes: are we going to ensure “the needs of the patient come first” by shifting from disinfection to sterilization?.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47: A62-A66
- ERCP scopes: what can we do to prevent infections?.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2015; 36: 643-648
- Gastrointestinal endoscopes: a need to shift from disinfection to sterilization?.JAMA. 2014; 312: 1405-1406
- Reprocessing semicritical items: current issues and new technologies.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 53-62
- New developments in reprocessing semicritical items.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 60-66
- Disinfection of a probe used in ultrasound-guided prostate biopsy.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2007; 28: 916-919
- Disinfection of an infrared coagulation device used to treat hemorrhoids.Am J Infect Control. 2012; 40: 78-79
Food and Drug Administration. FDA-cleared sterilants and high level disinfectants with general claims for processing reusable medical and dental devices. Available from: https://www.fda.gov/medicaldevices/deviceregulationandguidance/reprocessingofreusablemedicaldevices/ucm437347.htm. Accessed January 2019.
- Reprocessing semicritical items: outbreaks and current issues.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47: A79-A89
- How to assess risk of disease transmission to patients when there is a failure to follow recommended disinfection and sterilization guidelines.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2007; 28: 146-155
- Guidelines for environmental infection control in health-care facilities. Recommendations of CDC and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC).MMWR Recomm Rep. 2003; 52: 1-42
Thompson J, Garrett JH Jr. Transducer disinfection for assessment and insertion of peripheral and central catheters. Available from: https://www.avainfo.org/page/UltrasoundDisinfect. Accessed January 21, 2019.
- The role of patient care items as a fomite in healthcare-associated outbreaks and infection prevention.Clin Infect Dis. 2017; 65: 1412-1419
- Contaminated portable equipment is a potential vector for dissemination of pathogens in the intensive care unit.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2017; 38: 1247-1249
- Quantitative assessment on interactions between hospitalized patients and portable medical equipment and other fomites.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 1276-1278
- Are hospital floors an underappreciated reservoir for transmission of health care–associated pathogens.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 336-338
- Evaluation of hospital floors as a potential source of pathogen dissemination using a nonpathogenic virus as a surrogate marker.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016; 37: 1374-1377
- A quantitative approach to defining “high-touch” surfaces in hospitals.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 850-853
- Environmental issues and nosocomial infections.in: Wenzel RP Prevention and control of nosocomial infections. 3rd ed. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore (MD)1997: 491-514
- Role of hospital surfaces in the transmission of emerging health care–associated pathogens: norovirus, Clostridium difficile, and Acinetobacter species.Am J Infect Control. 2010; 38: 25-33
- Efficacies of selected disinfectants against Mycobacterium tuberculosis.J Clin Microbiol. 1990; 28: 2234-2239
- Efficacy of a variety of disinfectants against Listeria spp.Appl Environ Microbiol. 1990; 56: 377-380
- Feasibility of a combined carrier test for disinfectants: studies with a mixture of five types of microorganisms.Am J Infect Control. 1994; 22: 152-162
- Antimicrobial activity of home disinfectants and natural products against potential human pathogens.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2000; 21: 33-38
- Efficacy of improved hydrogen peroxide against important healthcare-associated pathogens.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012; 33: 1159-1161
- There is no additional bactericidal efficacy of Environmental Protection Agency–registered disinfectant towelettes after surface drying or beyond label contact time.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47: 27-32
- Selection of the ideal disinfectant.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 855-865
- Surface disinfection: treatment time (wipes/sprays) versus contact time (liquids).Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2018; 39: 329-331
- Guideline for hand hygiene in health-care settings: recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA Hand Hygiene Task Force.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2002; 23: 3-40
- Cleaning, disinfection and sterilization.in: Grota P APIC text of infection control and epidemiology. 4th ed. Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Washington (DC)2014: 1-15
- Disinfection and sterilization in health care facilities: an overview and current issues.Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2016; 30: 609-637
- Disinfection and sterilization in health care facilities: what clinicians need to know.Clin Infect Dis. 2004; 39: 702-709
- Guidelines for infection control in dental health-care settings—2003.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2003; 52: 1-61
- Guideline for disinfection and sterilization of prion-contaminated medical instruments.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 107-117
- Outbreaks associated with contaminated antiseptics and disinfectants.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2007; 51: 4217-4224
- Stability and bactericidal activity of chlorine solutions.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1998; 19: 323-327
- Are dropped osteoarticular bone fragments safely reimplantable in vivo?.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011; 93: 430-438
Bauer J, Liu RW, Kean TJ, Dennis JE, Petersilige W, Gilmore A. A comparison of five treatment protocols for contaminated bone grafts in reference to sterility and cell viability. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2011;93:439-44.
Conflicts of interest: Dr. Rutala is a consultant to PDI and ASP. Dr. Weber is a consultant for PDI and Germitec.