- •Disinfection in healthcare facilities typically focuses on high-touch surfaces.
- •Portable equipment has been linked to pathogen transmission.
- •Emerging evidence suggests that floors could also contribute to transmission.
- •Practical approaches are needed to address portable equipment and floors.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Does improving surface cleaning and disinfection reduce health care-associated infections?.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: S12-S19
- The role of patient care items as a fomite in healthcare-associated outbreaks and infection prevention.Clin Infect Dis. 2017; 65: 1412-1419
- Quantitative assessment of interactions between hospitalized patients and portable medical equipment and other fomites.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 1276-1278
- Spores on wheels: wheelchairs are a potential vector for dissemination of pathogens in healthcare facilities.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47: 459-461
- What is on that keyboard? Detecting hidden environmental reservoirs of Clostridium difficile during an outbreak associated with North American pulsed-field gel electrophoresis type 1 strains.Am J Infect Control. 2009; 37: 15-19
- Effectiveness of an ultraviolet radiation device for disinfection of personal use items in rooms of long-term care facility residents.in: Paper presented at the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA2016 May 18-21
- Environmental surfaces in healthcare facilities are a potential source for transmission of Candida auris and other Candida species.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2017; 38: 1107-1109
- Evaluation of a novel alcohol-based surface disinfectant for disinfection of hard and soft surfaces in healthcare facilities.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2017; 4: ofx054
- Wheelchair cleaning and disinfection in Canadian health care facilities: “That's wheelie gross!.Am J Infect Control. 2014; 42: 1173-1177
- Shedding of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus by colonized patients during procedures and patient care activities.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2019; 40: 328-332
- Candida auris in an intensive care setting.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 890-891
- Hospital-acquired infection with vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium transmitted by electronic thermometers.Ann Intern Med. 1992; 117: 112-116
- Epidemiological study of hospital-acquired infection with vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium: possible transmission by an electronic ear-probe thermometer.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1997; 18: 771-773
- Reduction in the incidence of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea in an acute care hospital and a skilled nursing facility following replacement of electronic thermometers with single-use disposables.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1992; 13: 98-103
- Enterobacter cloacae outbreak in the NICU related to disinfected thermometers.J Hosp Infect. 2000; 45: 29-34
- A randomized crossover study of disposable thermometers for prevention of Clostridium difficile and other nosocomial infections.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1998; 19: 494-499
- Reduction in vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus and Clostridium difficile infections following change to tympanic thermometers.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1998; 19: 333-336
- Clinical practice guidelines for Clostridium difficile infection in adults and children: 2017 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) and Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA).Clin Infect Dis. 2018; 66: 987-994
- A Candida auris outbreak and its control in an intensive care setting.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 1322-1331
- Effectiveness of disinfectants against Candida auris and other Candida species.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2017; 38: 1240-1243
- Evaluation of viral surrogate markers for study of pathogen dissemination during simulations of patient care.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2017; 4: ofx128
- Contaminated portable equipment is a potential vector for dissemination of pathogens in the intensive care unit.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2017; 38: 1247-1249
- Evaluation of an automated ultraviolet-C light disinfection device and patient hand hygiene for reduction of pathogen transfer from interactive touchscreen computer kiosks.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 464-467
- Evaluation of the potential for electronic thermometers to contribute to spread of healthcare-associated pathogens.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 708-710
- Transmission of Clostridium difficile from asymptomatically colonized or infected long-term care facility residents.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2018; 39: 909-916
- Sharing is not always a good thing: use of a DNA marker to investigate the potential for ward-to-ward dissemination of healthcare-associated pathogens.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2019; 40: 214-216
Rutala WA, Weber DJ, The Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC). Guideline for Disinfection and Sterilization in Healthcare Facilities, 2008. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/pdf/guidelines/disinfection-guidelines.pdf. Accessed March 27, 2019.
- Cleanliness of portable medical equipment disinfected by nursing staff.Am J Infect Control. 2011; 39: 602-604
- Practical approaches for assessment of daily and post-discharge room disinfection in healthcare facilities.Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2017; 19: 32
- Evaluation of an enclosed ultraviolet-C radiation device for decontamination of mobile handheld devices.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 724-726
- Evaluation of a low-intensity ultraviolet-C radiation device for decontamination of computer keyboards.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 705-707
- Evaluation of hospital floors as a potential source of pathogen dissemination using a nonpathogenic virus as a surrogate marker.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016; 37: 1374-1377
- Are hospital floors an underappreciated reservoir for transmission of health care-associated pathogens?.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 336-338
- Efficacy of manual cleaning and an ultraviolet C room decontamination device in reducing health care-associated pathogens on hospital floors.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 584-586
- Mechanisms for floor surfaces or environmental ground contamination to cause human infection: a systematic review.Epidemiol Infect. 2017; 145: 347-357
- Patient shoe covers: transferring bacteria from the floor onto surgical bedsheets.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 1430-1432
- Non-slip socks: a potential reservoir for transmitting multidrug resistant organisms in hospitals?.J Hosp Infect. 2016; 94: 273-275
- Evaluation of a shoe sole UVC device to reduce pathogen colonization on floors, surfaces and patients.J Hosp Infect. 2018; 98: 96-101
- Routine disinfection of patients’ environmental surfaces. Myth or reality?.J Hosp Infect. 1999; 42: 113-117
- Postdischarge decontamination of MRSA, VRE, and Clostridium difficile isolation rooms using 2 commercially available automated ultraviolet-C-emitting devices.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 416-420
Funding/support: This work was supported by a Merit Review grant from the Department of Veterans Affairs to C.J.D.
Conflicts of interest: None to report.