- •Many nurses are not familiar with antimicrobial stewardship (AS) or their role in AS.
- •Nurses are interested in more education about antimicrobial use and resistance.
- •Education efforts should focus on staff nurse awareness and AS interventions.
- •Nurse assessment of antimicrobial allergies should be explored.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2017. Antimicrobial/antimicrobial resistance. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/. Accessed May 13, 2019.
American Nurses Association & Centers for Disease Control. 2017. Redefining the antimicrobial stewardship team: recommendations from the American Nurses Association/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention workgroup on the role of the registered nurses in hospital antimicrobial stewardship practices. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/antimicrobial-use/healthcare/pdfs/ANA-CDC-whitepaper.pdf. Accessed May 13, 2019.
- Antimicrobial stewardship: a collaborative partnership between infection preventionists and healthcare epidemiologists.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012; 33: 328-330
Joint Commission. Antimicrobial stewardship. 2017. Available from: https://www.jointcommission.org/topics/hai_antimicrobial_stewardship.aspx. Accessed May 13, 2019.
- Combating antimicrobial resistance: the role of nursing in antimicrobial stewardship.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 1454-1457
- The critical role of the staff nurse in antimicrobial stewardship: recognized but already there.Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 62: 84-89
- Keeping patients safe: antimicrobial resistance and the role of nurse executives in antimicrobial stewardship.J Nurs Adm. 2015; 45: 67-69
- Staff nurses as antimicrobial stewards: an integrative literature review.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 917-922
- Integrating staff nurses in antimicrobial stewardship: opportunities and barriers.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 737-742
- Antimicrobial stewardship: the role of clinical nurses and nurse educators.Nursing Educ Today. 2018; 60: 157-160
- Educating healthcare professionals in antimicrobial stewardship: can online-learning solutions help?.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2015; 70: 3175-3177
- Antimicrobial information application offers nurses quick support.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 677-684
- Infection control in the intensive care unit: progress and challenges in systems and accountability.Crit Care Med. 2010; 38: 265-268
- Health care worker perspectives of their motivation to reduce health care-associated infections.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 1064-1068
- Speaking up about patient safety concerns: the influence of safety management approaches and climate on nurses’ willingness to speak up.BMJ Qual Saf. 2019; 28: 39-48
- The educational preparation of undergraduate nursing students in pharmacology: a survey of lecturers’ perceptions and experiences.J Adv Nurs. 2002; 40: 7-16
- Exploring the nurses’ role in antimicrobial stewardship: a multisite qualitative study of nurses and infection preventionists.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 492-497
- Hypersensitivity reactions to beta-lactam antimicrobials.Clin Rev Allergy Immunol. 2003; 24: 201-220
Australian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy.2016. Sulfonamide antimicrobial allergy. Available from: https://www.allergy.org.au/images/pcc/ASCIA_PCC_Sulfonamide_antibiotic_allergy_2019.pdf. Accessed May 13, 2019.
- The effect of nurse empowerment educational program on patient safety culture: a randomized controlled trial.BMC Med Educ. 2018; 18: 158
- Teaching health care workers to adopt a systems perspective for improved control and prevention of health care–associated infections.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 1360-1364
- Comparing web-based with mail survey administration of the Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS) clinician and group survey.Primary Health Care. 2013; 3: 132
- Quality of reporting web-based and non-web-based survey studies: what authors, reviewers, and consumers should consider.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0194239
Funding/support: This work was supported by internal funding from Brigham Young University College of Nursing.
Conflicts of interest: None to report.