Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Antibiotic Use in the United States, 2017: Progress and Opportunities. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/antibiotic-use/stewardship-report/index.html. Accessed March 11, 2019.
- Estimating national trends in inpatient antibiotic use among US hospitals from 2006 to 2012.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 1639-1648
- International study of the prevalence and outcomes of infection in intensive care units.JAMA. 2009; 302: 2323-2329
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Antibiotic Prescribing and Use in Hospitals and Long-Term Care. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/antibiotic-use/healthcare/index.html. Accessed March 11, 2019.
World Health Organization. Antibiotic resistance. Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/antibiotic-resistance. Accessed March 11, 2019.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Antibiotic/Antimicrobial Resistance (AR/AMR). Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/about.html. Accessed March 11, 2019.
- Strategies to prevent healthcare-associated infections through hand hygiene.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 937-960
- Strategies to prevent central line-associated bloodstream infections in acute care hospitals: 2014 update.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: S89-107
- Strategies to prevent surgical site infections in acute care hospitals: 2014 update.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 605-627
- Strategies to prevent ventilator-associated pneumonia in acute care hospitals: 2014 update.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 915-936
Rutala WA, Weber DJ. Guideline for disinfection and sterilization in healthcare facilities, 2008. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/guidelines/disinfection/index.html. Accessed March 10, 2019.
- Disinfection, sterilization, and antisepsis: An overview.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: e1-e6
- Disinfection and sterilization in health care facilities: An overview and current issues.Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2016; 30: 609-637
- Mechanisms of bacterial biocide and antibiotic resistance.J Appl Microbiol. 2002; 92: 55S-64S
- Similarities and differences in the responses of microorganisms to biocides.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2003; 52: 750-763
- Biocide use and antibiotic resistance: the relevance of laboratory findings to clinical and environmental situations.Lancet Infect Dis. 2003; 3: 794-803
- Use of germicides in the home and the healthcare setting: is there a relationship between germicide use and antibiotic resistance?.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2006; 27: 1107-1119
- Tests for determining in-use concentrations of antibiotics and disinfectants are based on entirely different concepts: “resistance” has different meanings.Int J Food Microbiol. 2010; 136: 247-254
- Does microbial resistance or adaptation to biocides create a hazard in infection prevention and control?.J Hosp Infect. 2010; 76: 200-205
- Recent advances in the potential interconnection between antimicrobial resistance to biocides and antibiotics.Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2013; 11: 363-366
- Is reduced susceptibility to disinfectants and antiseptics a risk in healthcare settings? A point/counterpoint review.J Hosp Infec. 2014; 87: 194-202
- Co-occurrence of resistance genes to antibiotics, biocides and metals reveals novel insights into their co-selection potential.BMC Genomics. 2015; 16: 964
- Acquired resistance to chlorhexidine - is it time to establish an ‘antiseptic stewardship’ initiative?.J Hosp Infect. 2016; 94: 213-227
- Resistance of bacteria to biocides.Microbiol Spectr. 2018; 6: 1-2
- Bacterial resistance to biocides in the healthcare environment: should it be of genuine concern?.J Hosp Infect. 2007; 65: 60-72
- Sensitivity of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains to some antibiotics, antiseptics and disinfectants.J Appl Bacteriol. 1988; 65: 329-337
- Susceptibility of vancomycin-resistant enterococci to environmental disinfectants.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1997; 18: 195-199
- Susceptibility of antibiotic-susceptible and antibiotic-resistant hospital bacteria to disinfectants.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1997; 18: 417-421
- Bactericidal activities of disinfectants against vancomycin-resistant enterococci.J Hosp Infect. 2002; 50: 140-144
- Bacterial contamination of keyboards: efficacy and functional impact of disinfectants.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2006; 27: 372-377
- Resistance to disinfectants in epidemiologically defined clinical isolates of Acinetobacter baumannii.J Hosp Infect. 2007; 66: 174-181
- Multidrug-resistant NDM-1 Klebsiella outbreak and infection control in endoscopic urology.BJU Int. 2012; 110: E922-E926
- Emergence and outbreak of carbapenemase-producing KPC-3 Klebsiella pneumoniae in Spain, September 2009 to February 2010: control measures.Euro Surveill. 2012; 17
- Isolation, molecular characteristics and disinfection of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from ICU units in Brazil.New Microbiol. 2012; 35: 183-190
Conflicts of interest: None to report.