- •Use video clips to grant legitimacy to reminding health care workers about hand hygiene.
- •Specify barriers and solutions that hospitalized patients and health care workers can identify with.
- •Turn discourse on hand hygiene into an accepted norm and a joint responsibility.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Systematic review of studies on compliance with hand hygiene guidelines in hospital care.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 283-294
- Report on the burden of endemic health care-associated infection worldwide.World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2011
- A systematic review of hand hygiene improvement strategies: a behavioural approach.Implement Sci. 2012; 7: 92
- Hospital organisation, management, and structure for prevention of health-care-associated infection: a systematic review and expert consensus.Lancet Infect Dis. 2015; 15: 212-224
- Annual Control Report 63c for 2012 and for accounting for financial year 2011.The State Comptroller and Ombudsman of Israel, Jerusalem2013
- Bundling hand hygiene interventions and measurement to decrease health care-associated infections.Am J Infect Control. 2012; 40: S18-S27
- Empowering patients in the hospital as a new approach to reducing the burden of health care-associated infections: the attitudes of hospital health care workers.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 263-268
- Role of hand hygiene in healthcare-associated infection prevention.J Hosp Infect. 2009; 73: 305-315
- The power of vivid experience in hand hygiene compliance.J Hosp Infect. 2009; 72: 36-42
- Evidence-based model for hand transmission during patient care and the role of improved practices.Lancet Infect Dis. 2006; 6: 641-652
- A compendium of strategies to prevent healthcare-associated infections in acute care hospitals: 2014 Updates.Am J Infect Control. 2014; 42: 820-828
- Systematic review of the effectiveness of strategies to encourage patients to remind healthcare professionals about their hand hygiene.J Hosp Infect. 2015; 89: 141-162
- Patient empowerment and hand hygiene, 1997-2012.J Hosp Infect. 2013; 84: 191-199
- An integrative review exploring the perceptions of patients and healthcare professionals towards patient involvement in promoting hand hygiene compliance in the hospital setting.J Clin Nurs. 2018; 27: 1329-1345
- Enhanced performance feedback and patient participation to improve hand hygiene compliance of health-care workers in the setting of established multimodal promotion: a single-centre, cluster randomised controlled trial.Lancet Infect Dis. 2016; 16: 1345-1355
- ‘I don't want to cause any trouble’: the attitudes of hospital patients towards patient empowerment strategies to reduce healthcare-acquired infections.J Infect Prevent. 2015; 16: 167-173
- Promoting a hand hygiene program using social media: an observational study.JMIR Public Health Surveill. 2016; 2: e5
- Qualitative research designs: selection and implementation.Couns Psychol. 2007; 35: 235-264
- Mixed methods research: a research paradigm whose time has come.Educ Res. 2004; 33: 14-26
- What variables are associated with the public's willingness to take measures to maintain a hygienic hospital environment?.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 1245-1253
- Qualitative methods in public health: a field guide for applied research.2nd ed. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco (CA)2016
- Interviewing in phenomenology and grounded theory: is there a difference?.J Adv Nurs. 2000; 31: 1485-1492
- Mixed methods approaches in family science research.J Family Issues. 2008; 29: 1543-1566
- Management research: applying the principles.Routledge, New York (NY)2015
- The SAGE handbook of qualitative data analysis.Sage, London2014
- Three approaches to qualitative content analysis.Qual Health Res. 2005; 15: 1277-1288
- As a critical behavior to improve quality and patient safety in health care: speaking up!.Saf Health. 2016; 2: 10
- User and public involvement in health services: a literature review.NHS Scotland, Edinburgh, Scotland2002
- To ask or not to ask?: The results of a formative assessment of a video empowering patients to ask their health care providers to perform hand hygiene.J Patient Saf. 2010; 6: 80-85
- Use of a patient empowerment tool for hand hygiene.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 824-829
Research Group: Shikma Levi, Yasmine Hajeer, Talia Hefer, Jenny Abrahamof, Ludmila Vanik, Veronika Libkind, Natalia Yudkevich Tzalka, Nour Abed Elhadi Shahbari, Samera Ganeem Abed Elhadi, Rana Hijazi, Julia Mir, Alona Paz, Hila Halevi, Tamar Boumard, Suzanne Behar, Dan Shteinberg, Anna Maizel, Carmit Shteinberg, Khitam Hussein, Sigal Verman
Funding/support: This research was funded by the Israel National Institute for Health Policy Research (grant no. 2016/134/א).
Conflicts of interest: None to report.