- •This is a retrospective analysis of our clinical experience treating CRE infections in an LTACH.
- •Current treatment paradigms for infections caused by CRE have produced suboptimal results.
- •We propose an algorithmic approach when an infection with CRE is suspected.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Plasmid-mediated KPC-2 in a Klebsiella pneumoniae isolate from China.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2007; 51: 763-765
- Recent exposure to antimicrobials and carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae: the role of antimicrobial stewardship.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012; 33: 817-830
- Predictors of carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae acquisition among hospitalized adults and effect of acquisition on mortality.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2008; 52: 1028-1033
- Rapid spread of carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae in New York City: a new threat to our antibiotic armamentarium.Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 1430
- Global spread of carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae.Emerg Infect Dis. 2011; 17: 1791
- Ertapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae: risk factors for acquisition and outcomes.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 1242-1249
- Emerging carbapenemases: a global perspective.Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2010; 36: S8-S14
- Outcomes of carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae infection and the impact of antimicrobial and adjunctive therapies.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2008; 29: 1099-1106
World Health Organization. Ebola virus disease. Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/. Accessed September 19, 2017.
- Clinical experience of serious infections caused by producing VIM-1 metallo-beta-lactamase in a Greek University Hospital.Clin Infect Dis. 2008; 46: 847
- Carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae infections: results from a retrospective series and implications for the design of prospective clinical trials.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2017; 4: ofx063
- Carbapenemases in Klebsiella pneumoniae and other Enterobacteriaceae: an evolving crisis of global dimensions.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2012; 25: 682-707
- Predictors of mortality in patients with bloodstream infections caused by KPC-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae and impact of appropriate antimicrobial treatment.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2011; 17: 1798-1803
- Predictors of mortality in bloodstream infections caused by Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemase-producing K. pneumoniae: importance of combination therapy.Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 55: 943-950
- Infections caused by KPC-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae: differences in therapy and mortality in a multicentre study.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2015; 70: 2133-2143
- Regional dissemination of KPC-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009; 53: 4511-4513
- Antibiotic treatment of infections due to carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae: systematic evaluation of the available evidence.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2014; 58: 654-663
- Ceftazidime-avibactam is superior to other treatment regimens against carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae bacteremia.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017; 61: 1-7
- Emergence of ceftazidime-avibactam resistance and restoration of carbapenem susceptibility in Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemase-producing K. pneumoniae: a case report and review of literature.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2017; 4 (ofx101)
- Clinical outcomes of serious infections due to carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) in TANGO-II, a phase 3, randomized, multi-national, open-label trial of meropenem-vaborbactam (M-V) versus best available therapy (BAT).in: Poster Presented at: IDWeek, San Diego, CA2017 Oct 4-8
Conflicts of interest: None to report.