- •Bacterial adhesion forming a multilayer on surgical forceps can occurs in 1 hour.
- •Automated cleaning remove microbial load better than manual cleaning.
- •Microbial loads recovered from jaw and ratchet were higher compared to shank.
- •Structural damage on forceps may act as sites for microbial adhesion and shelter.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Decontamination and reprocessing of medical devices for health-care facilities.World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2016
- Module 6. Processing surgical instruments and medical device.in: Curless MS Ruparelia CS Thompson E Trexler PA Infection prevention and control: reference manual for health care facilities with limited resources. Jhpiego, Baltimore (MD)2018.: 92.
- Ministério da Saúde. Resolução da Diretoria Colegiada N° 15, de 15 de março de 2012. Dispõe sobre os requisitos de boas práticas para o processamento de produtos para a saúde e da outras providências.2012 (Brasília (DF): Brasília)
- Guidelines for perioperative practice.AORN, Denver (CO)2017
- An outbreak of surgical site infections following craniotomy procedures associated with a change in the ultrasonic surgical aspirator decontamination process.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 433-435
- Complex design of surgical instruments as barrier for cleaning effectiveness, favouring biofilm formation.J Hosp Infect. 2019; 103 (e55-60)
- Evaluation of stainless steel surgical instruments subjected to multiple use/processing.Inf Dis Health. 2018; 23: 3-9
- Infections and exposures: reported incidents associated with unsuccessful decontamination of reusable surgical instruments.J Hosp Infect. 2014; 88: 127-131
- The role of biofilms in reprocessing medical devices.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 77-80
- Formação de biofilme em aço inoxidável por aeromonas hydrophila e Staphylococcus aureus usando leite e diferentes condições de cultivo.Food Sci Technol. 2009; 29: 886-895
- Removal of biofilm from endoscopes: evaluation of detergent efficiency.Am J Infect Control. 2004; 32: 170-176
- Guideline for disinfection and sterilization in healthcare facilities.Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta (GA)2008
- Bacterial biofilms: a common cause of persistent infections.Science. 1999; 284: 1318-1322
- Coagulase-negative staphylococci.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2014; 27: 870-926.
- Surveillance of surgical site infections in NHS hospitals in England, 2017/18.December 2018 (Available from)https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/765967/SSI_annual_report_NHS_hospitals_2017_18.pdf(Accessed May 15, 2019)
- Analysis of microbial load on surgical instruments after clinical use and following manual and automated cleaning.Am J Infect Control. 2015; 43: 522-527
- Microbial contamination of surgical instruments used for laparotomy.Am J Infect Control. 2014; 42: 43-47
- Pilot study of timing of biofilm formation on closed suction wound drains.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012; 130: 1141-1146
- Kinetics and morphology of polymicrobial biofilm formation on polypropylene mesh.FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 2012; 65: 283-290
- Evaluation of the relationship between bacterial load on contaminated stainless steel surgical instruments and the holding time prior to disinfection and also to analyse the efficacy of different disinfecting solutions.Biomed Res. 2017; 28: 4680-4687
- Initial adhesion and surface growth of Staphylococcus epidermidis and Pseudomonas aeruginosa on biomedical polymers.J Biomed Mater Res. 2000; 50: 208-214
- Alcohol fixation of bacteria to surgical instruments increases cleaning difficulty and may contribute to sterilization inefficacy.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: e81-e86
- Alcoholic fixation of blood to surgical instruments—a possible factor in the surgical transmission of CJD?.J Hosp Inf. 2004; 58: 78-80
- Effect of drying time, ambient temperature and pre-soaks on prion-infected tissue contamination levels on surgical stainless steel: concerns over prolonged transportation of instruments from theatre to central sterile service departments.J Hosp Infect. 2007; 65: 72-77
- Adsorption of prion and tissue proteins to surgical stainless steel surfaces and the efficacy of decontamination following dry and wet storage conditions.J Hosp Infect. 2011; 78: 251-255
- Natural bioburden levels detected on rigid lumened medical devices before and after cleaning.Am J Infect Control. 1997; 25: 471-476
- Surface-attached cells, biofilms and biocide susceptibility: implications for hospital cleaning and disinfection.J Hosp Infect. 2015; 89: 16-27
Funding/support: This study was supported by the Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de Minas Gerais (FAPEMIG) by universal edict 2015, process APQ 02025-15.
Conflicts of interest: None to report.