- •Contamination of inanimate surfaces in the ICU can be a source of HAI-associated pathogens.
- •Selective isopropyl alcohol/organofunctional saline (ISO) solutions have been documented to reduce microbial contamination on inert high-touch inanimate surfaces.
- •A single application of a novel IOS resulted in persistent antimicrobial activity on inanimate ICU surfaces over a six-week study period.
- International study of the prevalence and outcome of infection in intensive care units.JAMA. 2009; 302: 2323-2329
- Bacterial contamination of inanimate surfaces and equipment in the intensive care unit.J Intensive Care. 2015; 3: 54
- Biofilm contamination of high-touched surfaces in intensive care units: epidemiology and potential impacts.Lett Appl Microbiol. 2019; 68: 269-276
- Cross-sectional point prevalence survey to study the environmental contamination of nosocomial pathogens in intensive care units under real-life conditions.J of Hosp Infect. 2018; 98: 90-95
- Manual of clinical microbiology.in: Jorgensen JH Pfaller MA Carroll KC Manual of clinical microbiology. 11th ed. ASM Press, Washington (DC)2015
Rutala WA, Weber DJ; Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC). Guideline for disinfection and sterilization in healthcare facilities, 2008. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/guidelines/Disinfection/index.html. Accessed August 15, 2019.
- A shape adaptive, antibacterial-coating of immobilized quaternary-ammonium compounds tethered on hyperbranched polyurea and its mechanism of action.Adv Funct Mater. 2014; 24: 346-355
- Effects of quaternary ammonium silane coatings on mixed fungal and bacterial biofilms on tracheoesophageal shunt prostheses.Appl Environ Microbiol. 2006; 72: 3673-3677
- Evaluation of two organosilane products for sustained antimicrobial activity on high touch surfaces in patient rooms.Am J Infection Control. 2014; 42: 326-328
- Assessment of an innovative antimicrobial surface disinfectant in the operating room environment using adenosine triphosphate bioluminescence assay.Am J Infection Control. 2015; 43: 283-285
- Multisite evaluation of environmental cleanliness of high-touch surfaces in intensive care unit patient rooms.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 1198-1200
- What orthopaedic operating room surfaces are contaminated with bioburden? A study using the ATP bioluminescence assay.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2017; 475: 1819-1824
- Long-term efficacy of a self-disinfecting coating in an intensive care unit.Am J Infect Control. 2014; 42: 1178-1181
Conflicts of interest: None to report.