- •This study evaluated chemical disinfection efficacy in the operating room versus focused multivector ultraviolet (FMUV) disinfection.
- •Compliance in the control (chemical) phase was 92% and in the intervention (FMUV) phase was 99%.
- •The chemical disinfection colony-forming unit (CFU) reduction on operating room equipment was 38%, and for FMUV it was 96.5%.
- •After disinfection, the intervention (FMUV) CFU levels were 19.5 times better than the control (chemical) CFU levels.
- •The 90-second treatment cycle for the intervention (FMUV) was highly effective.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Environmental cleaning for the prevention of healthcare-associated infections. Technical brief No. 22. AHRQ publication no. 15-EHC020-EF.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2015
- Does improving surface cleaning and disinfection reduce health care-associated infections?.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: S12-S19
- Guidelines for perioperative practice.(AORN, editor)Guidelines for environmental cleaning. Association of periOperative Registered Nurses, Denver, CO2018: 7-27
- How long do nosocomial pathogens persist on inanimate surfaces? A systematic review.BMC Infect Dis. 2006; 6: 130-137
- The role of the surface environment in healthcare-associated infections.Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2013; 26: 338-344
- Association between healthcare-associated infection and exposure to hospital roommates and previous bed occupants with the same organism.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2018; 39: 541-546
- Portable ultraviolet light surface-disinfecting devices for prevention of hospital-acquired infections: a health technology assessment.Ont Health Technol Assess Ser. 2018; 18: 1-73
- Assessment of focused multivector ultraviolet disinfection with shadowless delivery using 5-point multisided sampling of patient care equipment without manual-chemical disinfection.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47: 409-414
- No-touch disinfection methods to decrease multidrug-resistant organism infections: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2018; 39: 20-31
- Disinfectants used for environmental disinfection and new room decontamination technology.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: S36-S41
- Implementation lessons learned from the benefits of enhanced terminal room (BETR) disinfection study: process and perceptions of enhanced disinfection with ultraviolet disinfection devices.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2018; 39: 157-163
- Room decontamination with UV radiation.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 1025-1029
- Decontamination devices in health care facilities: practical issues and emerging applications.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47S: A23-A28
- Options for environmental cleaning, the environmental evaluation workgroup.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA2010
- CDC environmental checklist for monitoring terminal cleaning.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA2010
- American College of Surgeons and Surgical Infection Society: surgical site infection guidelines, 2016 update.J Am Coll Surg. 2017; 224: 59-74
- Enhanced disinfection leads to reduction of microbial contamination and a decrease in patient colonization and infection.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2018; 39: 1118-1121
- Assessing the feasibility of a focused multivector ultraviolet system between surgery cases with a parallel protocol for enhanced disinfection capabilities.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47: 1006-1008
- Methods for assessing the adequacy of practice and improving room disinfection.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: S20-S25
- Monitoring the effectiveness of cleaning in four British hospitals.Am J Infect Control. 2007; 35: 338-341
Conflicts of interest: None to report.