- •Recurrences were rare, even with prosthetic material in place.
- •Local infection signs and neutropenia appear to increase the risk of recurrence.
- •Appropriate antibiotic treatment did not prevent recurrence.
- European surveillance of ICU-acquired infections (HELICS-ICU): methods and main results.J Hosp Infect. 2007; 65: 171-173
- Impact of a multimodal intervention to reduce bloodstream infections related to vascular catheters in non-ICU wards: a multicentre study.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2013; 19: 838-844
- Coagulase-negative staphylococci.Clin Microbiology Rev. 2014; 27: 870-926
- Management of the catheter in documented catheter-related coagulase-negative staphylococcal bacteremia: remove or retain?.Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 49: 1187-1194
- Catheter design influences recurrence of catheter-related bloodstream infection in children with cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2003; 21: 3520-3525
- Clinical practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of intravascular catheter-related infection: 2009 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 49: 1-45
- Catheter-related bloodstream infections with coagulase-negative staphylococci: are antibiotics necessary if the catheter is removed?.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2019; 8: 21
- Coagulase-negative staphylococcal bacteremia: risk factors for mortality and impact of initial appropriate antimicrobial therapy on outcome.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2015; 34: 1395-1401
All authors contributed equally.
Conflicts of interest: None to report.