- •Reduced absenteeism among community hospital emergency room personnel after implementation of an automated hand hygiene compliance system.
- •Use of automated hand hygiene compliance systems may decrease health care personnel sick call outs and the number of overtime hours worked by substitute staff.
- •Decreased health care personnel absenteeism and decreased overtime hours paid represent significant returns on the investment of implementing an automated hand hygiene compliance system.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
World Health Organization. System change—changing hand hygiene behavior at the point of care. Available from:https://www.who.int/gpsc/tools/faqs/system_change/en/. Accessed July 8, 2019.
- Health, absence, disability, and presenteeism cost estimates of certain physical and menta health conditions affecting US employers.J Occup Environ Med. 2004; 46: 398-412
- Project: Clean Sweep reducing healthcare-associated infections, employee absenteeism, healthcare cost and hospital readmissions in a long term care facility (Poster Abstract, APIC 2010).Am J Infect Control. 2010; 38: e71-e72
- The impact of common infections on school absenteeism during an academic year.Am J Infect Control. 2014; 42: 632-637
- Hand hygiene program decreases school absenteeism due to upper respiratory infections.J Sch Health. 2016; 86: 873-881
- Impact of a comprehensive workplace hand hygiene program on employer health care insurance claims and costs, absenteeism, and employee perceptions and practices.J Occup Environ Med. 2016; 58: e231-e240
- Current issues in hand hygiene.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47S: A46-A52
- Investigating the use of an electronic hand hygiene monitoring and prompt device: Influence and acceptability.J Infect Prev. 2017; 18: 278-287
- Implementing an electronic hand hygiene monitoring system: lessons learned from community hospitals.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 860-865
- Effect of electronic real-time prompting on hand hygiene behaviors in health care workers.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 768-774
- Impact of an automated hand hygiene monitoring system and additional promotional activities on hand hygiene performance rates and healthcare-associated infections.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2019; 40: 741-747
- Effect of intermittent deployment of an electronic monitoring system on hand hygiene behaviors in healthcare workers.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47: 376-380
- An automated hand hygiene compliance system is associated with improved monitoring of hand hygiene.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 492-497
- Update: influenza activity in the United States during the 2017-18 season and composition of the 2018-19 influenza vaccine.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018; 67: 634-642
- Health-related workplace absenteeism among full-time workers-United States, 2017-18 influenza season.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2019; 68: 577-582
Funding/support: Biovigil Healthcare Systems, Inc had no role in conducting this study. Biovigil Healthcare Systems, Inc provided both medical writing and statistical analysis support for this study.
Conflicts of interest: T.M.B. works as a statistical consultant for Biovigil Healthcare Systems, Inc. J.S. and H.S. have no conflicts of interest to report.