- •Nurses are powerful collaborators in antibiotic stewardship.
- •Organizational culture can negatively impact nurses’ ability to steward.
- •Strengthening team interaction can boost interdisciplinary stewardship participation.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Implementing an antibiotic stewardship program: guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 62: e51-e77
- Core Elements of Hospital Antibiotic Stewardship Programs.2014 (Available at:)Accessed August 29, 2019)
- Impact of organizations on healthcare-associated infections.J Hosp Infect. 2015; 89: 346-350
- Driving sustainable change in antimicrobial prescribing practice: how can social and behavioural sciences help?.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2018; 73: 2613-2624
- The social determinants of antibiotic prescribing.in: Trivedi KK Neuhauser MM Tamma PD Barlam TF Practical Implementation of an Antibiotic Stewardship Program. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge2018: 45-62
- Participatory action research in antimicrobial stewardship: a novel approach to improving antimicrobial prescribing in hospitals and long-term care facilities.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2014; 69: 1734-1741
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. AHRQ safety program for improving antibiotic use. 2017. Available at: https://www.ahrq.gov/hai/tools/antibiotic-stewardship/index.html. Accessed August 29, 2019.
- Redefining the Antibiotic Stewardship Team: Recommendations from the American Nurses Association/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Workgroup on the Role of Registered Nurses in Hospital Antibiotic Stewardship Practices.2017 (Available at:)Accessed August 29, 2019)
- Nurses as antibiotic brokers: institutionalized praxis in the hospital.Qual Health Res. 2017; 27: 1924-1935
- Health care system leaders' perspectives on infection preventionist and registered nurse engagement in antibiotic stewardship.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 498-502
- Combating antibiotic resistance: the role of nursing in antibiotic stewardship.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 1454-1457
- The critical role of the staff nurse in antimicrobial stewardship–Unrecognized, but already there.Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 62: 84-89
- Staff nurses as antimicrobial stewards: an integrative literature review.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 917-922
- Integrating staff nurses in antibiotic stewardship: opportunities and barriers.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 737-742
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)–a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- The search for good antimicrobial stewardship.Jt Comm J Qual Improv. 2001; 27: 403-404
- Competency in infection prevention: a conceptual approach to guide current and future practice.Am J Infect Control. 2012; 40: 296-303
- Emergency department catheter-associated urinary tract infection prevention: role of the clinical nurse.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2015; 2: 299
- Antimicrobial stewardship and infection prevention- leveraging the synergy: a position paper update.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 364-368
- The nurse's role in medication safety.Nursing. 2015; 45: 1-4
- Exploring the nurses' role in antibiotic stewardship: a multisite qualitative study of nurses and infection preventionists.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 492-497
- Covering more territory to fight resistance: considering nurses' role in antimicrobial stewardship.J Infect Prev. 2011; 12: 6-10
- Health care huddles: managing complexity to achieve high reliability.Health Care Manage Rev. 2015; 40: 2-12
- Integrating bedside nurses into antibiotic stewardship: a practical approach.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2019; 40: 579-584
- The missing link with a path less traveled: incorporating an aggressive nursing strategy in antimicrobial stewardship.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: S20
- Evaluation of the association between Hospital Survey on Patient Safety Culture (HSOPS) measures and catheter-associated infections: results of two national collaboratives.BMJ Qual Safety. 2017; 26: 226-235
- Characteristics of healthcare organisations struggling to improve quality: results from a systematic review of qualitative studies.BMJ Qual Safety. 2019; 28: 74-84
- Implementation science: how to jumpstart infection prevention.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: S14-S17
- Reducing preventable harm: observations on minimizing bloodstream infections.J Health Organ Manag. 2017; 31: 2-9
- Interventions to decrease catheter-related bloodstream infections in the ICU: the Keystone Intensive Care Unit Project.Am J Infect Control. 2008; 36 (e171-175): S171
- Nurse prompting for prescriber-led review of antimicrobial use in the critical care unit: a quality improvement intervention with controlled interrupted time series analysis.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2017; 4: S278
Conflict of interest: All authors report no conflicts of interest relevant to this article.