- •Patient hand hygiene, effect of providing hand sanitizing wipes versus staff education.
- •Patient hand hygiene levels were self-reported and gathered using surveys.
- •Hand wipe distribution alone did not lead to an increase in patient hand hygiene.
- •Staff education alone did not lead to an increase in patient hand hygiene.
- •Staff education with unit's own data increased reminders to patients’ hand hygiene.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Multistate point-prevalence survey of health care–associated infections.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 1198-1208
- Economic burden of healthcare-associated infections: an American perspective.Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2009; 9: 417-422
- Guideline for hand hygiene in health-care settings: recommendations of the healthcare infection control practices advisory committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA hand hygiene task force.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2002; 23: S40
- Hand hygiene compliance rates in the United States—a one-year multicenter collaboration using product/volume usage measurement and feedback.Am J Med Qual. 2009; 24: 205-213
- Significant reductions in methicillin‐resistant staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia and clinical isolates associated with a multisite, hand hygiene culture‐change program and subsequent successful statewide roll‐out.Med J Aust. 2008; 188: 633-640
- Efficacy of an alcohol/chlorhexidine hand hygiene program in a hospital with high rates of nosocomial methicillin‐resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection.Med J Aust. 2005; 183: 509-514
- Reduction of healthcare-associated infections by exceeding high compliance with hand hygiene practices.Emerg Infect Dis. 2016; 22: 1628
- Can improving patient hand hygiene impact clostridium difficile infection events at an academic medical center?.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 959-963
- Multidrug-resistant organisms in hospitals: what is on patient hands and in their rooms?.Clin Infect Dis. 2019; 69: 1837-1844
- A randomized trial to determine the impact of a 5 moments for patient hand hygiene educational intervention on patient hand hygiene.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 551-553
Conflicts of interest: Dr. Abbo reports personal fees from Achaogen, Nabriva therapeutics, Paratek, Roche diagnostics, WebMD, Pfizer Latin America, MSD, outside the submitted work. The other authors report no COI.