- •Contact precautions can adversely impact patient safety and patient experience
- •Contact precautions were replaced with a nasal and skin decolonization protocol
- •An alcohol-based nasal antiseptic was dosed twice daily, with daily CHG bath
- •Statistically significant cost reductions were realized without an increase in MRSA
- •Majority of staff indicated preference for alcohol-based antiseptic over mupirocin
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Patient isolation precautions: are they worth it?.Can Respir J. 2016; 20165352625
- Elimination of routine contact precautions for endemic MRSA and VRE: a retrospective quasi-experimental study.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016; 37: 1323-1330
- Screening, isolation, and decolonization strategies in the control of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus in intensive care units: cost effectiveness evaluation.BMJ. 2011; 343: d5694
- Targeted versus universal decolonization to prevent ICU infection.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 2255-2265
- Decrease in Staphylococcus aureus colonization and hospital-acquired infection in a medical intensive care unit after institution of an active surveillance and decolonization program.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 779-783
- Prevalence and epidemiology of mupirocin resistance among those colonized with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in the community.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2014; 1: S117
- Prevalence of mupirocin resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates among patients admitted to a tertiary care hospital.N Am J Med Sci. 2014; 6: 403-407
- The in-vitro activity of povidone-iodine cream against Staphylococcus aureus and its bioavailability in nasal secretions.J Hosp Infect. 2000; 45: 198-205
- Patient experience with mupirocin or povidone-iodine nasal decolonization.Orthopedics. 2014; 37: e576-e581
- Cost of isolation: daily cost of isolation determined and cost avoidance demonstrated from the overuse of personal protective equipment in an acute care facility.Am J Infect Control. 2014; 42: 448-449
Tech validate customer survey results for global life technologies manufacturer of Nozin, 2019. Available at: https://surveymonkey.com/techvalidate/overview/Accessed September 20, 2019.
- Estimating the effectiveness of isolation and decolonization measures in reducing transmission of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in hospital general wards.Am J Epidemiol. 2013; 177: 1306-1313
- Contact precautions: more is not necessarily better.Infect control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 213-221
- The role of nasal carriage in Staphylococcal infections.Lancet Infect Dis. 2005; 5: 751-762
- Staphylococcus aureus nasal colonization and subsequent infection in ICU patients: does methicillin resistance matter?.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 584-591
- Nasal carriage as a source of Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 11-16
- Risk and outcome of nosocomial Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia in nasal carriers versus non-carriers.Lancet. 2004; 364: 703-705
- Perioperative participation of orthopedic patients and surgical staff in a nasal decolonization intervention to reduce Staphylococcus spp surgical site infections.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 554-556
- Direct costs of a contact isolation day: a prospective cost analysis at a Swiss University Hospital.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2018; 39: 101-103
- The effect of contact precautions on healthcare worker activity in acute care hospitals.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2013; 34: 69-73
Conflicts of interest: No conflict of interest.