- •Surgical infection causes significant patient suffering and health care costs.
- •To reduce the risk, 1 hospital introduced universal nasal and skin decolonization.
- •Decolonization was provided with alcohol nasal antiseptic and chlorhexidine soap.
- •Surgical infection rate was reduced to zero for total hip and knee procedures.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Projections of primary and revision hip and knee arthroplasty in the United States from 2005 to 2030.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007; 89: 780-785
- Economic burden of periprosthetic joint infection in the United States.J Arthroplasty. 2012; 27: 61-65
- Preoperative Staphylococcus aureus screening/decolonization protocol before total joint arthroplasty - results of a small prospective randomized trial.J Arthroplasty. 2016; 31: 234-239
- The current state of screening and decolonization for the prevention of Staphylococcus aureus surgical site infection after total hip and knee arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015; 97: 1449-1458
- Preventing surgical-site infections in nasal carriers of Staphylococcus aureus.New Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 9-17
- Perioperative participation of orthopedic patients and surgical staff in a nasal decolonization intervention to reduce Staphylococcus spp surgical site infections.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 554-556
- Mupirocin resistance.Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 49: 935-941
- Preventing surgical site infections: a randomized, open-label trial of nasal mupirocin ointment and nasal povidone-iodine solution.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 826-832
- Decolonization in prevention of health care-associated infections.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2016; 29: 201-222
- Impact of reduced isolation and contact precaution procedures on infection rates and facility costs at a non-profit acute care hospital.Am J Inf Contr. 2016; 44: S101-S102
Conflict of interest: Nasal antiseptic was provided by Global Life Technologies for 8 months of the trial period.