- •The ORCA survey measures organizational readiness to implement best practices.
- •We used the ORCA to measure barriers to an antibiotic stewardship intervention.
- •Providers had strong buy-in to the evidence for managing asymptomatic bacteriuria.
- •Inadequate resources and support were cited as barriers to stewardship.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Infectious Diseases Society of America guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of asymptomatic bacteriuria in adults.Clin Infect Dis. 2005; 40: 643-654
- Clinical practice guideline for the management of asymptomatic bacteriuria: 2019 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2019; 68: e83-e110
- Screening for asymptomatic bacteriuria in adults: US Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement.JAMA. 2019; 322: 1188-1194
- Effect of empiric treatment of asymptomatic bacteriuria in neurosurgical trauma patients on surgical site and Clostridium difficile infection.Neurosurgery. 2018; 0: 1-8
- Inappropriate management of asymptomatic patients with positive urine cultures: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2017; 4: ofx207
- Management of bacteriuria in Veterans Affairs hospitals.Clin Infect Dis. 2017; 65: 910-917
- Conceptualization and measurement of organizational readiness for change: a review of the literature in health services research and other fields.Med Care Res Rev. 2008; 65: 379-436
- Organizational readiness to change assessment (ORCA): development of an instrument based on the Promoting Action on Research in Health Services (PARIHS) framework.Implement Sci. 2009; 4: 38
- Changing practice to support self-management and recovery in mental illness: application of an implementation model.Aust J Prim Health. 2015; 21: 279-285
- Readiness for implementation of lung cancer screening. A national survey of Veterans Affairs pulmonologists.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2016; 13: 1794-1801
- Changing antibiotic prescribing in a primary care network: the role of readiness to change and group dynamics in success.Am J Med Qual. 2018; 33: 154-161
- Nurse and medical provider perspectives on antibiotic stewardship in nursing homes.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017; 65: 165-171
- Effectiveness of an antimicrobial stewardship approach for urinary catheter-associated asymptomatic bacteriuria.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 1120-1127
- Protocol to disseminate a hospital-site controlled intervention using audit and feedback to implement guidelines concerning inappropriate treatment of asymptomatic bacteriuria.Implement Sci. 2018; 13: 16
- Asymptomatic bacteriuria, antibiotic use, and suspected urinary tract infections in four nursing homes.BMC Geriatr. 2012; 12: 73
- Survey finds improvement in cognitive biases that drive overtreatment of asymptomatic bacteriuria after a successful antimicrobial stewardship intervention.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 1544-1548
- Teamwork and safety climate affect antimicrobial stewardship for asymptomatic bacteriuria.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2019; 40: 963-967
- Knowledge and practices of physicians and nurses related to urine cultures in catheterized patients: an assessment of adherence to IDSA guidelines.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2019; 6
- A survey of resident physicians' knowledge regarding urine testing and subsequent antimicrobial treatment.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 892-896
- Overtreatment of asymptomatic bacteriuria: identifying provider barriers to evidence-based care.Am J Infect Control. 2014; 42: 653-658
- Infection prevention and antimicrobial stewardship knowledge for selected infections among nursing home personnel.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2017; 38: 83-88
- Core elements of hospital antibiotic stewardship programs.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website, 2014 (Published 2014. Available at:)Accessed September 13, 2019)
- New antimicrobial stewardship standard.Joint Commission Perspect. 2016; 36: 1-8
- Facilitators and barriers to antibiotic stewardship: a qualitative study of pharmacists' perspectives.Hosp Pharm. 2019; 54: 250-258
- Antimicrobial stewardship in residential aged care facilities: need and readiness assessment.BMC Infect Dis. 2014; 14: 410
- On the measurement of organizational slack.Acad Manag Rev. 1981; 6: 29-39
- The relationship between baseline Organizational Readiness to Change Assessment subscale scores and implementation of hepatitis prevention services in substance use disorders treatment clinics: a case study.Implement Sci. 2010; 5: 46
- A refined compilation of implementation strategies: results from the Expert Recommendations for Implementing Change (ERIC) project.Implement Sci. 2015; 10: 21
- A systematic review of instruments to assess organizational readiness for knowledge translation in health care.PLoS One. 2014; 9e114338
- Unpacking organizational readiness for change: an updated systematic review and content analysis of assessments.BMC Health Serv Res. 2020; 20: 106
- Providing culturally competent services for American Indian and Alaska Native veterans to reduce health care disparities.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: S548-S554
Conflicts of interest: Dr. Trautner reports grants from VA HSR&D, during the conduct of the study; grants from NIH, AHRQ, CDC, grants and personal fees from Zambon pharamceuticals, personal fees from Paratek pharmaceuticals, outside the submitted work. Dr. Grigoryan reports grants from NIH, AHRQ, VA HSR& D, grants from Zambon Pharmaceuticals, grants from Rebiotix, outside the submitted work.