- •We evaluated the efficacy of manual bleach cleaning vs PX-UV for C. difficile.
- •Bleach cleaning and PX-UV disinfection reduced C. difficile-positive samples.
- •Bleach cleaning and PX-UV disinfection reduced C. difficile CFU counts.
- •PX-UV and nonbleach cleaning effectively reduces C. difficile contamination.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Does improving surface cleaning and disinfection reduce health care-associated infections?.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: S12-S19
- No-touch disinfection methods to decrease multidrug-resistant organism infections: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2018; 39: 20-31
- Decontamination devices in health care facilities: practical issues and emerging applications.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47S: A23-A28
- Non-inferiority of pulsed xenon UV light versus bleach for reducing environmental Clostridium difficile contamination on high-touch surfaces in Clostridium difficile infection isolation rooms.J Med Microbiol. 2015; 64: 191-194
- Effectiveness of targeted enhanced terminal room disinfection on hospital-wide acquisition and infection with multidrug-resistant organisms and Clostridium difficile: a secondary analysis of a multicentre cluster randomised controlled trial with crossover design (BETR Disinfection).Lancet Infect Dis. 2018; 18: 845-853
- A trial of pulsed xenon ultraviolet disinfection to reduce Clostridioides difficile infection.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47: 406-408
- Effect of pulsed xenon ultraviolet disinfection on methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus contamination of high-touch surfaces in a Japanese hospital.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 48: 139-142
- Clinical and microbiological effect of pulsed xenon ultraviolet disinfection to reduce multidrug-resistant organisms in the intensive care unit in a Japanese hospital: a before-after study.BMC Infect Dis. 2020; 20: 82
- Incidence and mortality associated with Clostridium difficile infection at a Japanese tertiary care center.Anaerobe. 2014; 25: 5-10
- Adherence to clinical practice guidelines for the management of Clostridium difficile infection in Japan: a multicenter retrospective study.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2017; 36: 1947-1953
- Clostridioides (Clostridium) difficile infection burden in Japan: a multicenter prospective study.Anaerobe. 2019; 102011
- How to eradicate Clostridium difficile from the environment.J Hosp Infect. 2015; 89: 287-295
- Postdischarge decontamination of MRSA, VRE, and Clostridium difficile isolation rooms using 2 commercially available automated ultraviolet-C-emitting devices.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 416-420
- The effect of ultraviolet light on Clostridium difficile spore recovery versus bleach alone.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2017; 38: 1116-1117
- Approaches to the detection of Clostridioides difficile in the healthcare environment.J Hosp Infect. 2019; 103: 375-381
- Efficacy of pulsed xenon ultraviolet disinfection of multidrug-resistant bacteria and Clostridioides difficile spores.Infect Dis Health. 2020; 25: 181-185
- Improved cleaning of patient rooms using a new targeting method.Clin Infect Dis. 2006; 42: 385-388
- Improving cleaning of the environment surrounding patients in 36 acute care hospitals.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2008; 29: 1035-1041
Funding: This study was partly funded by a grant from Terumo Co., Ltd., Tokyo, Japan. Terumo Co., Ltd. was not involved in the study design, data collection, data analysis, or in the preparation of the manuscript.
Conflicts of interest: HO received research funding from Terumo Co., Ltd. Conflicts of interest: None to report.