- •The hand hygiene compliance of physicians in outpatient clinics was investigated.
- •Automated counter using a push sensor attached to alcohol-based hand rub were used.
- •Hand hygiene was performed for 6.43% of patient visits, which is insufficient.
- •Interventions using posters and newsletters increased the compliance rates.
- •S. aureus detection rates on computer keyboards decreased after intervention.
Abbreviations:ABHR (Alcohol-Based Hand Rub), WHO (World Health Organization), WiFi (Wireless Fidelity (Wireless Internet))
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Microbial transmission in an outpatient clinic and impact of an intervention with an ethanol-based disinfectant.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47: 128-132
- ‘My five moments for hand hygiene’: a user-centred design approach to understand, train, monitor and report hand hygiene.J hosp infect. 2007; 67: 9-21
- Testing a novel audit and feedback method for hand hygiene compliance : a multicenter quality improvement study.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2019; 40: 89-94
- New technologies to monitor healthcare worker hand hygiene.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2013; 20: 29-33
- Implementation and Impact of an automated group monitoring and feedback system to promote hand hygiene among health care personnel.Jt comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2015; 40: 408-417
- American Journal of Infection Control Utility of electronic hand hygiene counting devices for measuring physicians’ hand hygiene adherence applied to outpatient settings.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 1481-1485
- American Journal of Infection Control using medical student observers of infection prevention, hand hygiene, and injection safety in outpatient settings : a cross-sectional survey.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 374-380
- Evaluation of a hand hygiene campaign in outpatient health care clinics.Am J Nurs. 2013; 113: 43-44
- APIC guideline for handwashing and hand antisepsis in health care settings.Am J Infect Control. 1995; 23: 251-269
- Searching for an optimal hand hygiene bundle .Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 58: 248-259
- Systematic review of studies on compliance with hand hygiene guidelines in hospital care.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 283-294
- Hand hygiene adherence among health care workers at Japanese hospitals : a multicenter observational study in Japan.J Patient Saf. 2016; 12: 11-17
- Does physician leadership influence followers’ hand hygiene compliance?.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2019; 6: ofz236
- Long-term survival of bacillus spores in alcohol and identification of 90 % ethanol as relatively more spori / bactericidal.Curr Microbiol. 2012; 64: 130-139
- American Journal of Infection control automated and electronically assisted hand hygiene monitoring systems : a systematic review.Am J Infect Control. 2014; 42: 472-478
- Using high-technology to enforce low-technology safety measures : the use of third-party remote video auditing and real-time feedback in healthcare.Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 54: 1-7
Conflicts of interest: None to report.
Ethical standards: This study was approved by the ethics committee (approval number A190500006) in our institution.