- •WGS identified 7 Genetic Clusters of MRSA infections.
- •Genetically-related cases were observed up to 15 weeks apart.
- •Analysis revealed previously unidentified potential hospital source.
- •Hospital-source outbreaks were limited in scope.
- •None of the cases in 4 Temporal Clusters were genetically related.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Control of MSSA and MRSA in the United States: protocols, policies, risk adjustment and excuses.Control Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2019; 8: 103
- Vital signs: epidemiology and recent trends in methicillin-resistant and in methicillin-susceptible staphylococcus aureus bloodstream infections - United States.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2019; 68: 214-219
- National costs associated with methicillin-susceptible and methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus hospitalizations in the United States, 2010-2014.Clin Infect Dis. 2019; 68: 22-28
- Longitudinal genomic surveillance of MRSA in the UK reveals transmission patterns in hospitals and the community.Sci Transl Med. 2017; 9
- Origin, evolution, and global transmission of community-acquired Staphylococcus aureus ST8.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017; 114: E10596-E10604
- Genomic and epidemiological evidence for community origins of hospital-onset methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus bloodstream infections.J Infect Dis. 2017; 215: 1640-1647
- Whole-genome sequencing reveals the contribution of long-term carriers in Staphylococcus aureus outbreak investigation.J Clin Microbiol. 2017; 55: 2188-2197
- Frequent undetected MRSA ward-based transmission linked to patient sharing between hospitals.Clin Infect Dis. 2017;
- Genomic epidemiology of methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0164397
- Whole-genome sequencing for the investigation of a hospital outbreak of MRSA in China.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0149844
- Whole genome SNP typing to investigate methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus carriage in a health-care provider as the source of multiple surgical site infections.Hereditas. 2016; 153: 11
- Transmission of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in long-term care facilities and their related healthcare networks.Genome Med. 2016; 8: 102
- Whole-genome sequencing for outbreak investigations of methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus in the neonatal intensive care unit: time for routine practice?.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2015; 36: 777-785
- Whole-genome sequencing shows that patient-to-patient transmission rarely accounts for acquisition of Staphylococcus aureus in an intensive care unit.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 58: 609-618
- Healthcare-associated outbreak of meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia: role of a cryptic variant of an epidemic clone.J Hosp Infect. 2014; 86: 83-89
- Whole-genome sequencing for analysis of an outbreak of meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: a descriptive study.Lancet Infect Dis. 2013; 13: 130-136
- ARIBA: rapid antimicrobial resistance genotyping directly from sequencing reads.Microb Genom. 2017; 3e000131
- Trimmomatic: a flexible trimmer for Illumina sequence data.Bioinformatics. 2014; 30: 2114-2120
- Fast gapped-read alignment with Bowtie 2.Nat Methods. 2012; 9: 357-359
- The sequence alignment/map format and SAMtools.Bioinformatics. 2009; 25: 2078-2079
- The genome analysis toolkit: a MapReduce framework for analyzing next-generation DNA sequencing data.Genome Res. 2010; 20: 1297-1303
- RAxML version 8: a tool for phylogenetic analysis and post-analysis of large phylogenies.Bioinformatics. 2014; 30: 1312-1313
- Automated analysis of phylogenetic clusters.BMC Bioinformatics. 2013; 14: 317
- Absence of patient-to-patient intrahospital transmission of Staphylococcus aureus as determined by whole-genome sequencing.MBio. 2014; 5 (e01692-14)
- Capturing the cloud of diversity reveals complexity and heterogeneity of MRSA carriage, infection and transmission.Nat Commun. 2015; 6: 6560
- Transmission clusters of Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in long-term care facilities based on whole-genome sequencing.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016; 37: 685-691
- Genomic epidemiology of USA300 methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in an urban community.Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 62: 37-44
- Identifying the effect of patient sharing on between-hospital genetic differentiation of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.Genome Med. 2016; 8: 18
- Within-host evolution of Staphylococcus aureus during asymptomatic carriage.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e61319
- Genomic exploration of sequential clinical isolates reveals a distinctive molecular signature of persistent Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia.Genome Med. 2018; 10: 65
- Defining HIV-1 transmission clusters based on sequence data.AIDS. 2017; 31: 1211-1222
Funding: RR, DJN, SM, CR, and SLL are supported by an NSF SBIR Phase II Award (PI SLL, #1830867).
Conflicts of interest: RR, DJN, SM, CR, SC, and SLL are full-time employees of Bioinfoexperts, LLC. RR, DJN, YSM, CN, and SLL conceived the study design. YSM and CN recruited patients. DJN performed the laboratory experiments. RR, DJN, SM, and CR developed the analytical platform. CN implemented the software in the IPCD. RR, DJN, SC, CN, and SLL interpreted results. RR, CN, and SLL wrote the manuscript.