- •Antimicrobial stewardship can be impacted by antibiotic duration orders.
- •Wording of antibiotic duration orders can impact the number of doses administered.
- •Neonates with doses beyond the anticipated duration was reduced from 50%-7.2%.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Early-onset neonatal sepsis.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2014; 27: 21-47
- Reducing antibiotic utilization rate in preterm infants: a quality improvement initiative.J Perinatol. 2018; 38: 421-429
- Challenges and opportunities for antibiotic stewardship among preterm infants.Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2018; 0: F1-F6
- Reducing unnecessary antibiotic use in the neonatal intensive care unit (SCOUT): a prospective interrupted time-series study.Lancet Infect Dis. 2016; 16: 1178-1184
- Duration of initial empirical antibiotic therapy and outcomes in very low birth weight infants.Pediatrics. 2019; 143e20182286
- Association of antibiotic utilization and neurodevelopmental outcomes among extremely low gestational age neonates without proven sepsis or necrotizing enterocolitis.Am J Perinatol. 2018; 35: 972-978
- Antibiotic therapy in neonates and impact on gut microbiota and antibiotic resistance development: a systematic review.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2018; 73: 569-580
- Development, evaluation and validation of a screening tool for late onset bacteremia in neonates – a pilot study.BMC Pediatr. 2019; 19: 253
- Antibiotics in the environment.Ups J Med Sci. 2014; 119: 108-112
Conflicts of interest: None to report.