- •The incidence of Klebsiella pneumoniae (KP) infections is worrisome.
- •The use of some third-generation cephalosporins and carbapenems continue to increase.
- •Positive relationships existed between amikacin, ciprofloxacin use and resistant KP.
- •Similar results were obtained with different measuring outcomes of resistance.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Genomic analysis of diversity, population structure, virulence, and antimicrobial resistance in Klebsiella pneumoniae, an urgent threat to public health.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015; 112: E3574-E3581
- Current status and trends of antibacterial resistance in China.Clin Infect Dis. 2018; 67: S128-SS34
- ReAct-action on antibiotic R. clinical and economic impact of common multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacilli.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2008; 52: 813-821
World Health Organization. Global Priority List of Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria to Guide Research, Discovery, and Development of New Antibiotics. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO; 2017.
- Resistance reported from China antimicrobial surveillance network (CHINET) in 2018.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2019; 38: 2275-2281
- Trends and patterns of antibiotic consumption in Shanghai municipality, China: a 6 year surveillance with sales records, 2009-14.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2016; 71: 1723-1729
- Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing: Twenty-Third Informational Suppl (M100-S27).CLSI, Wayne, PA2017
- Modelling and forecasting antimicrobial resistance and its dynamic relationship to antimicrobial use: a time series analysis.Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2000; 14: 21-31
- Box-Jenkins modelling in medical research.Stat Methods Med Res. 1996; 5: 3-22
- The impact of antimicrobial drug consumption and alcohol-based hand rub use on the emergence and spread of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing strains: a time-series analysis.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2009; 63: 609-614
- Modelling the impact of antibiotic use on antibiotic-resistant Escherichia coli using population-based data from a large hospital and its surrounding community.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2011; 66: 928-935
- Epidemiological interpretation of antibiotic resistance studies—what are we missing?.Nat Rev Microbiol. 2004; 2: 979-983
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus central line-associated bloodstream infections in US intensive care units, 1997-2007.JAMA. 2009; 301: 727-736
- Epidemiological interpretation of studies examining the effect of antibiotic usage on resistance.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2013; 26: 289-307
- Differential correlation between rates of antimicrobial drug consumption and prevalence of antimicrobial resistance in a tertiary care hospital in Greece.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2008; 29: 615-622
- Trends and correlation of antibacterial usage and bacterial resistance: time series analysis for antibacterial stewardship in a Chinese teaching hospital (2009-2013).Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2015; 34: 795-803
- In vitro potency of amikacin and comparators against E. coli, K. pneumoniae and P. aeruginosa respiratory and blood isolates.Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob. 2016; 15: 39
- Influence of antimicrobial consumption on gram-negative bacteria in inpatients receiving antimicrobial resistance therapy from 2008-2013 at a tertiary hospital in Shanghai, China.Am J Infect Control. 2015; 43: 358-364
- Surveillance of carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae in Chinese hospitals—a five-year retrospective study.J Infect Dev Ctries. 2019; 13: 1101-1107
- Klebsiella pneumoniae: an increasing threat to public health.Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob. 2020; 19: 1
- Risk factors for carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae infection relative to two types of control patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2020; 9: 23
- Parallel analysis of individual and aggregated data on antibiotic exposure and resistance in gram-negative bacilli.Clin Infect Dis. 2001; 33: 1462-1468
- Ecological bias, confounding, and effect modification.Int J Epidemiol. 1989; 18: 269-274
Funding: This work was supported by internal funding (ie, the National Natural Science Foundation of China [no. 71904155 ]).
Conflicts of interest: None to report.
Ethical approval: This study protocol was approved by the Hospital Ethics Committees.