- •Non-use of contact precautions for MRSA or VRE did not increase HAI.
- •HAI decreased over time associated with horizontal infection prevention strategies.
- •Longitudinal multi-center interrupted time series study.
- •Outcomes were consistent across hospitals of varying size and percent single rooms.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- 2007 Guideline for Isolation Precautions: Preventing Transmission of Infectious Agents in Healthcare Settings.in February 2019 (Available at:)https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docket/archive/pdfs/NIOSH-219/0219-010107-siegel.pdfDate accessed: May 1, 2020
- Contact precautions for Endemic MRSA and VRE: time to retire legal mandates.JAMA. 2017; 318: 329-330
- Effect of contact precautions on wait time from emergency room disposition to inpatient admission.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2011; 32: 298-299
- Adverse effects of contact isolation.Lancet. 1999; 354: 1177-1178
- Adverse outcomes associated with contact precautions: a review of the literature.Am J Infect Control. 2009; 37: 85-93
- Adverse effects of isolation in hospitalized patients: a systematic review.J Hosp Infect. 2010; 76: 97-102
- Impact of contact precautions on falls, pressure ulcers and transmission of MRSA and VRE in hospitalized patients.J Hosp Infect. 2014; 88: 170-176
- Effect of contact precautions for MRSA on patient satisfaction scores.J Hosp Infect. 2015; 90: 263-266
- Association between depression and contact precautions in veterans at hospital admission.Am J Infect Control. 2011; 39: 163-165
- Cost-benefit analysis from the hospital perspective of universal active screening followed by contact precautions for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus carriers.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2015; 36: 2-13
- The impact of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococcus (VRE) flags on hospital operations.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016; 37: 782-790
- Reconsidering contact precautions for endemic methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2015; 36: 1163-1172
- Infection control: the case for horizontal rather than vertical intervention programs.Int J Infect Dis. 2010; 14: S3-S5
- Vital signs: epidemiology and recent trends in Methicillin-Resistant and in Methicillin-Susceptible Staphylococcus aureus bloodstream infections — United States.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2019; 68: 214-219
- Universal glove and gown use and acquisition of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in the ICU: a randomized trial.JAMA. 2013; 310: 1571-1580
- Natural history of colonization with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus (VRE): a systematic review.BMC Infect Dis. 2014; 14: 177
- Absence of patient-to-patient intrahospital transmission of Staphylococcus aureus as determined by whole-genome sequencing.MBio. 2014; 5 (e01692-14)
- Control of drug-resistant pathogens in endemic settings: contact precautions, controversies, and a proposal for a less restrictive alternative.Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2012; 14: 620-626
- The impact of discontinuing contact precautions for VRE and MRSA on device-associated infections.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2015; 36: 978-980
- Elimination of routine contact precautions for endemic Methicillin-Resistant staphylococcus aureus and Vancomycin-Resistant enterococcus: a retrospective quasi-experimental Study.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016; 37: 1323-1330
- Noninfectious hospital adverse events decline after elimination of contact precautions for MRSA and VRE.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2018; 39: 788-796
- Impact of discontinuation of contact precautions on central-line associated bloodstream infections in an academic children's hospital.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2019; 40: 473-475
- Impact of discontinuing contact precautions for Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus and Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococcus: an interrupted time series analysis.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2018; 39: 676-682
- Interrupted time series regression for the evaluation of public health interventions: a tutorial.Int J Epidemiol. 2017; 46: 348-355
Conflicts of interest: Dr. Doll reports grant funding from Molnlycke Healthcare unrelated to the presented work. Dr. Bearman reports prior research grants from: Cardinal health, Pfizer, Cardinal Healthcare, Molnycke Healthcare, BioVigil and AO Foundation. All other authors report no potential conflicts of interest.