- •Many technicians began reprocessing endoscopes independently within 1 month.
- •Personnel were confident in their reprocessing abilities despite poor test scores.
- •A minority of respondents had been formally certified to reprocess endoscopes.
- •Technicians tended to be less familiar with issues of infection control than nurses.
- •Nurses tended to be less familiar with the nuances of reprocessing than technicians.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Worldwide practices on flexible endoscope reprocessing.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2018; 7: 153
- Challenges in achieving effective high-level disinfection in endoscope reprocessing.Am J Infect Control. 2020; 48: 309-315
CDC: Healthcare-Associated Infections Protecting Healthcare Personnel. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/hai/prevent/ppe.html. Accessed December 6, 2020
- New Delhi metallo-beta-lactamase-producing carbapenem-resistant Escherichia coli associated with exposure to duodenoscopes.JAMA. 2014; 312: 1447-1455
- Risk factors associated with the transmission of carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae via contaminated duodenoscopes.Gastrointest Endosc. 2016; 83: 1121-1129
- A quarantine process for the resolution of duodenoscope-associated transmission of multidrug-resistant Escherichia coli.Gastrointest Endosc. 2015; 82: 477-483
- Withdrawal of a novel design duodenoscope ends outbreak of a VIM-2-producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa.Endoscopy. 2015; 47: 502
- ANSI/AAMI ST91:2015, Flexible and semi rigid endoscope processing at healthcare facilities.2015 (Arlington, VA. Available at:)Accessed December 6, 2020)
Benedict M. Delays in endoscope reprocessing … and the biofilms within. Available at:https://medical.olympusamerica.com/sites/default/files/us/files/pdf/Whitepaper—Delays-in-Endoscope-Reprocessing-FINAL-APPROVED-single-page-version.pdf. Accessed December 6, 2020
- Comparison of automated and manual drying in the elimination of residual endoscope working channel fluid after reprocessing (with video).Gastrointest Endosc. 2019; 89: 124-132.e2
Conflicts of interest: None to report.