- •Both ultraviolet germicidal irradiation and moist heat decontamination methods did not degrade the respirator performance.
- •The ultraviolet germicidal irradiation and moist heat methods inactivated MS2 virus (>5-log reduction) consistently.
- •UV decon efficacy order: aerosol-based >vapor-based >solution-based deposition.
- •Generally, decontamination efficacy order: hydrophilic filtering facepiece respirator slightly >hydrophobic filtering facepiece respirator.
- •All 3 varying virus loading types could be repeatably and reproducibly achieved.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Preventing Transmission of Pandemic Influenza and Other Viral Respiratory Diseases: Personal Protective Equipment for Healthcare Workers.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011 (Available at: http://www.nap.edu/catalog/13027.html. Accessed August 7, 2020)
- Meeting Summary of the Workshop "Approaches to Better Understand Human Influenza Transmission.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA2010 (Available at:www.cdc.gov/influenzatransmissionworkshop2010/pdf/Influenza_Transmission_Workshop_Summary_508.pdf. Accessed August 11, 2020)
- Distribution of airborne influenza virus and respiratory syncytial virus in an urgent care medical clinic.Clin Infect Dis. 2010; 50: 693-698
- Review of aerosol transmission of influenza A virus.Emerg Infect Dis. 2006; 12: 1657-1661
- Effectiveness of precautions against droplets and contact in prevention of nosocomial transmission of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).Lancet. 2003; 361: 1519-1520
- Method for contamination of filtering facepiece respirators by deposition of MS2 viral aerosols.J Aerosol Sci. 2010; 41: 944-952
- WHO Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Dashboard.2020 (Available at: https://www.who.int/. Accessed August 14, 2020)
- Hospital preparedness for severe acute respiratory syndrome in the United States: views from a National Survey of Infectious Diseases Consultants.Clin Infect Dis. 2004; 7: 272-274
- Reusability of Facemasks During an Influenza Pandemic: Facing the Flu, IOM Report.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2006 (Available at: http://darwin.nap.edu/books/0309101824/html. Accessed August 19, 2020)
- Effect of decontamination on the filtration efficiency of two filtering facepiece respirator models.J Int Soc Respir Prot. 2007; 24: 93-107
- Evaluation of five decontamination methods for filtering facepiece respirators.Ann Occup Hyg. 2009; 53: 815-827
- Evaluation of multiple (3-cycle) decontamination processing for filtering facepiece respirators.J Eng Fibers Fabr. 2010; 5: 33-41
- Development of a test system to evaluate decontamination procedures for viral droplets on respirators.Appl Environ Microbiol. 2009; 75: 7303-7309
- A pandemic influenza preparedness study: use of energetic methods to decontaminate filtering facepiece respirators contaminated with H1N1 aerosols and droplets.Am J Infect Control. 2011; 39: 1-9
- Size and UV germicidal irradiation susceptibility of Serratia marcescens when aerosolized from different suspending media.Appl Environ Microbiol. 2004; 70: 2021-2027
- Development and characterization of a new test system to challenge personal protective equipment with virus-containing particles.J Int Soc Respir Prot. 2012; 29: 13-29
- The use of bacteriophage MS2 as a model system to evaluate virucidal hand disinfectants.J Hosp Infect. 1991; 17: 279-285
- Determination of Particulate Filter Efficiency Level for N95 Series Filters Against Solid Particulates for Non-Powered, Air-Purifying Respirators (Procedure TEB-APR-STP-0059).National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory, Pittsburgh, PA2007 (Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/stps/respirator_testing.htm#STP_APR. Accessed September 1, 2020)
- Analysis of residual chemicals on filtering facepiece respirators after decontamination.J Environ Occup Health. 2010; 7: 437-445
- Survival of influenza viruses on environmental surfaces.J Infect Dis. 1982; 146: 47-51
- Sampling methodologies and dosage assessment techniques for submicrometre and ultrafine virus aerosol particles.J Appl Microbiol. 2005; 99: 1422-1434
- Form and Style for ASTM Standards.American Society for Testing and Materials International, West Conshohocken, PA2007 (Available at:https://www.astm.org/FormStyle_for_ASTM_STDS.html. Accessed September 4, 2020)
- A review of decontamination methods for filtering facepiece respirators.J Int Soc Respir Prot. 2020; 3: 71-86
- Evaluating the virucidal efficacy of hydrogen peroxide vapour.J Hosp Infect. 2014; 86: 255-259
Conflicts of interest: None to report.