- •Candida species seldom cause hemodialysis-related bloodstream infections (BSIs).
- •An outbreak of C. tropicalis BSIs affected 3 hemodialysis units located in 2 cities.
- •Inadequate saline prime bucket disinfection was the primary cause of the outbreak.
- •Continued emphasis on saline prime bucket disinfection is warranted.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) dialysis event surveillance report for 2014.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017; 12: 1139-1146
- A large outbreak of hepatitis C virus infections in a hemodialysis clinic.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016; 37: 125-133
- Hemodialyzer reuse and gram-negative bloodstream infections.Am J Kidney Dis. 2017; 69: 726-733
- Multicenter outbreak of gram-negative bloodstream infections in hemodialysis patients.Am J Kidney Dis. 2019; 74: 610-619
- Outbreak of Candida rugosa candidemia: an emerging pathogen that may be refractory to amphotericin B therapy.Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2003; 46: 253-257
- Water Treatment Equipment for Hemodialysis Applications (ANSI/AAMI RD62:2001).Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation, Arlington, VA2001
- An outbreak of bloodstream infections arising from hemodialysis equipment.J Infect Dis. 1998; 178: 783-791
- An update on Candida tropicalis based on basic and clinical approaches.Front Microbiol. 2017; 8: 1927
- Elimination of an outbreak of gram-negative bacteremia in a hemodialysis unit.Am J Infect Control. 1996; 24: 359-363
- ESRD NCC healthcare-associated infection (HAI) Learning and Action Network (LAN) discovery event.2016 (Available at:)https://www.esrdncc.org/contentassets/66b85eda5c194818ae463410f1b3f8f6/ncc-discovery-event_120816_final_508.pdf(Accessed February 19, 2021)
Gualandi N. To boldly go where few have been before: infection control assessment and response in the outpatient dialysis setting. Presented at the Annual Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists meeting, June 6, 2017, Boise, ID. Available at:https://cste.confex.com/cste/2017/webprogram/Paper7537.html. Accessed February 19, 2021.
- The North Carolina dialysis infection control assessment and response (ICAR) experience.2018 (Available at:)https://network6.esrd.ipro.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/06/ANNA-5-23-18-NC-SPICE-ICAR_Final.pdf(Accessed February 19, 2021)
- A cluster of Gram-negative bloodstream infections in Connecticut hemodialysis patients with contaminated wall boxes and priming buckets.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2019; 6: S848-S849
- Environmental surface disinfection in dialysis facilities: notes for clinical managers.2020 (Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/dialysis/pdfs/collaborative/env_notes_feb13.pdf. Accessed February 12, 2021)
- An outbreak of gram-negative bacteremia in hemodialysis patients traced to hemodialysis machine waste drain ports.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999; 20: 746-751
- Organism-specific bacteremia by hemodialysis access.Clin Nephrol. 2016; 86: 141-146
- Serratia liquefaciens bloodstream infections from contamination of epoetin alfa at a hemodialysis center.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 1491-1497
- Outbreak of long-term intravascular catheter-related bacteremia due to Achromobacter xylosoxidans subspecies xylosoxidans in a hemodialysis unit.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2005; 24: 727-732
J.M.B. is currently with J.M. Consulting, LLC, Middletown, CT; D.G.D. is currently with DG Dumigan, LLC, New Haven, CT; N.L.H. is now with Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT; R.J.H. is retired from University of Iowa; M.A.P. is currently with JMI Laboratories, North Liberty, IA.
Funding: The authors declare that they have no relevant financial interests. No funding support.
Conflicts of Interest: J.M.B. is a consultant to Diversey, GOJO Industries, and Sodexo Healthcare. All other co-authors do not claim conflicts of interest.