- •A nationwide antibiogram can guide empiric treatment for respiratory infections.
- •S. pneumoniae susceptibility to azithromycin was low and decreased over time.
- •E. coli resistance to fluoroquinolones was high, limiting use for gram negatives.
- •Antimicrobial stewardship is key to reducing rates of antibiotic resistance.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Etiological trends and patterns of antimicrobial resistance in respiratory infections.Open Microbiol J. 2018; 12: 34-40
- Increased multidrug resistant isolates: new clinical burdens for 66 hospitals in Shanghai, 2015 to 2017.Ann Transl Med. 2020; 8: 112
- The burden of community-acquired bacterial pneumonia in the era of antibiotic resistance.Expert Rev Respir Med. 2019; 13: 139-152
- Relative clinical and cost burden of community-acquired pneumonia hospitalizations in older adults in the United States-a cross-sectional analysis.Vaccines (Basel). 2018; 6
- Community-Acquired Pneumonia.StatPearls, Treasure Island, FL2020
- The epidemiology of nonventilator hospital-acquired pneumonia in the United States.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 322-327
- The epidemiology of ventilator-associated pneumonia in a network of community hospitals: a prospective multicenter study.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2013; 34: 657-662
Prevention CfDCa 2020; Pages. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/pneumonia/causes.html. Accessed March 19, 2021.
- Management of adults with hospital-acquired and ventilator-associated pneumonia: 2016 clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the American Thoracic Society.Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 63: e61-e111
- Diagnosis and treatment of adults with community-acquired pneumonia. An official clinical practice guideline of the American Thoracic Society and Infectious Diseases Society of America.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2019; 200: e45-e67
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of Streptococcus pneumoniae from North America, Europe, Latin America, and the Asia-Pacific region: results from 20 years of the SENTRY Antimicrobial Surveillance Program (1997-2016).Open Forum Infect Dis. 2019; 6: S14-S23
- Analysis and Presentation of Cumulative Antimicrobial Susceptibility Test Data.4th Edition. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, 2014: M-39 (ed)
- Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing; CLSI Document M-100 ED30:2020.Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, PA2020
- Antibiotic Resistance Threats.2020 (Available at:)
- Trends in antibacterial resistance among Streptococcus pneumoniae isolated in the USA: update from PROTEKT US Years 1-4.Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob. 2008; 7: 1
- Mechanisms of antimicrobial resistance in Gram-negative bacilli.Ann Intensive Care. 2015; 5: 61
- Declining cephalosporin and fluoroquinolone non-susceptibility among bloodstream Enterobacteriaceae from the UK: links to prescribing change?.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2013; 68: 2667-2674
- Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus: bad news and good news from the European Antimicrobial Resistance Surveillance Network (EARS-Net, formerly EARSS), 2002 to 2009.Euro Surveill. 2011; 16: 19819
Control ECfDPa. Antimicrobial resistance surveillance in Europe 2015. Annual Report of the European Antimicrobial Resistance Surveillance Network (EARS-Net) (2015), 2017.
- Antimicrobial resistance temporal trend of Klebsiella pneumoniae isolated from blood.J Med Life. 2016; 9: 419-423
- Antimicrobial stewardship.Am J Infect Control. 2006; 34 ([discussion S4-73]): S55-S63
- Improved susceptibility of Gram-negative bacteria in an intensive care unit following implementation of a computerized antibiotic decision support system.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2010; 65: 1062-1069
- Impact of an antimicrobial stewardship program on antimicrobial utilization, bacterial susceptibilities, and financial expenditures at an academic medical center.Hosp Pharm. 2016; 51: 703-711
Conflicts of interest: None to report.