- •Limited information is available on shedding of pathogens outside patient rooms.
- •We examined shedding during appointments outside patient rooms.
- •38.5% of MRSA-colonized patients shed MRSA during appointments.
- •Presence of wounds with MRSA was a significant risk for environmental shedding.
- •No shedding of multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacilli was detected.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Does improving surface cleaning and disinfection reduce health care-associated infections?.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: S12-S19
- Shedding of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus by colonized patients during procedures and patient care activities.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2019; 40: 328-332
- Shedding of multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacilli by colonized patients during procedures and patient care activities.Am J Infect Control. 2020; 48: 1336-1340
- Transmission of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) to healthcare worker gowns and gloves during care of nursing home residents.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2015; 36: 1050-1057
- Transmission of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus to health care worker gowns and gloves during care of residents in Veterans Affairs nursing homes.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 947-953
- Transmission of resistant gram-negative bacteria to health care worker gowns and gloves during care of nursing home residents in Veterans Affairs community living centers.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017; 61 (e00790-17)
- Indwelling device use and antibiotic resistance in nursing homes: identifying a high-risk group.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007; 55: 1921-1926
- Evaluation of patients' skin, environmental surfaces, and urinary catheters as sources for transmission of urinary pathogens.Am J Infect Control. 2014; 42: 810-812
- Effect of antibiotic therapy on the density of vancomycin-resistant enterococci in the stool of colonized patients.N Engl J Med. 2000; 343: 1925-1932
- Skin and environmental contamination with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus among carriers identified clinically versus through active surveillance.Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 48: 1423-1428
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) nasal real-time PCR: a predictive tool for contamination of the hospital environment.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2015; 36: 34-39
- Hospital outpatient clinics as a potential hazard for healthcare associated infections.J Infect Public Health. 2016; 9: 88-97
- Microbial transmission in an outpatient clinic and impact of an intervention with an ethanol-based disinfectant.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47: 128-132
- Environmental contamination with vancomycin-resistant enterococci in an outpatient setting.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1998; 19: 515-518
- Outpatient healthcare settings and transmission of Clostridium difficile.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e70175
- Contamination of common area and rehabilitation gym environment with multidrug-resistant organisms.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020; 68: 478-485
- Analysis of typing methods for epidemiological surveillance of both methicillin-resistant and methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus strains.J Clin Microbiol. 2008; 46: 136-144
- Effect of chlorhexidine bathing in preventing infections and reducing skin burden and environmental contamination: A review of the literature.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: e17-e21
- Chlorhexidine-based decolonization to reduce healthcare-associated infections and multidrug-resistant organisms (MDROs): who, what, where, when, and why?.J Hosp Infect. 2019; 103: 235-243
- Chlorhexidine gluconate to cleanse patients in a medical intensive care unit: the effectiveness of source control to reduce the bioburden of vancomycin-resistant enterococci.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 306-312
- A comparison of the efficacy of multiple ultraviolet light room decontamination devices in a radiology procedure room.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2019; 40: 158-163
- Contaminated clothing of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus carriers is a potential source of transmission.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 1414-1416
Funding: The authors acknowledge funding from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's investments to combat antibiotic resistance under award number 2019-06723 to CJD.
Conflicts of interest: C.J.D. has received research funding from Clorox, PDI, and Pfizer. All other authors report no conflicts of interest relevant to this article.