- •Topical antimicrobials are frequently prescribed in Australian aged care homes.
- •First line topical antimicrobial therapy is not always prescribed.
- •Antimicrobial stewardship teams should regularly review topical antimicrobial use.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Recent advances on topical antimicrobials for skin and soft tissue infections and their safety concerns.Crit Rev Microbiol. 2018; 44: 40-78
- Current and emerging topical antibacterials and antiseptics: agents, action, and resistance patterns.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2017; 30: 827-860
- A bug in the ointment: topical antimicrobial usage and resistance in New Zealand.N Z Med J. 2015; 128: 103-109
- Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care.Antimicrobial Stewardship in Australian Health Care Sydney ACSQHC, 2018
- Australian Government Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission.Guidance and Resources for Providers to support the Aged Care Quality Standards, 2018
- Current evidence on hospital antimicrobial stewardship objectives: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Infect Dis. 2016; 16: 847-856
- Therapeutic Guidelines: Antibiotic. Version 16.Melbourne Therapeutic Guidelines Limited, Melbourne2019
- The Core Elements of Antibiotic Stewardship for Nursing Homes Atlanta, GA: US Department of Health and Human Services, CDC.2015 (Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/longtermcare/index.html. Accessed May 3, 2021)
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Healthcare associated infections in long term care facilities in Europe: the HALT project. Available at: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/all-topics-z/healthcare-associated-infections-long-term-care-facilities/surveillance-and-disease-13. Accessed May 3, 2021.
- Healthcare-associated infections in long-term care facilities (HALT) in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, January to March 2011.Euro Surveill. 2012; 17
- Antimicrobial prescribing in residential homes.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2012; 67: 1781-1790
- A point prevalence study of antimicrobial use and practice among nursing homes in Singapore.Drugs Aging. 2019; 36: 559-570
- Topical antibacterial and antiviral agents: prescribing and resistance.Prescriber. 2016; 27: 29-36
- Dumb and dumber–the potential waste of a useful antistaphylococcal agent: emerging fusidic acid resistance in Staphylococcus aureus.Clin Infect Dis. 2006; 42: 394-400
- Therapeutic Guidelines: Dermatology. Version 3.Therapeutic Guidelines Limited, Australia2015
- Australian Medicines Handbook Pty Ltd.Adelaide, South Australia2021
- Comparison of terbinafine and clotrimazole in treating tinea pedis.BMJ. 1993; 307: 645-647
- Topical antifungal-corticosteroid combination therapy for the treatment of superficial mycoses: conclusions of an expert panel meeting.Mycoses. 2016; 59: 365-373
- Therapeutic Guidelines: Dermatology. Version 4..Melbourne Therapeutic Guidelines Limited, Melbourne2015
- Australian Medicines Handbook: Aged Care Companion.Australian Medicines Handbook Pty Ltd, Adelaide2019
- Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care.Antimicrobial Stewardship Clinical Care Standard Sydney ACSQHC, 2014
- RACGP aged care clinical guide (Silver Book) Part B.Collaboration and multidisciplinary team-based care, 2019
- Managing responsible antimicrobial use: perspectives across the healthcare system.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2017; 23: 441-447
- Australian Guidelines for the Prevention and Control of Infection in Healthcare Australia Co, editor.Canberra NHMRC, 2019
- Skin infections and ageing.Ageing Res Rev. 2004; 3: 69-89
Conflicts of interest: All authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.