- •The nail brush used during surgical hand scrub is not necessary.
- •There was no difference between the effects of one-minute and two-minute scrub on bacterial count.
- •The findings help to avoid unnecessary practices of surgical hand scrub and minimize its duration.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Surgical hand washing: a systematic review.Int J Antisep Disinfect Steril. 2016; 1: 23-32
- Brushes and picks used on nails during the surgical scrub to reduce bacteria: a randomised trial.J Hosp Infect. 2009; 71: 234-238
- Surgical hand antisepsis to reduce surgical site infection.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 22 (No.: CD004288): 13-25
- Comparing of using sterile brush during surgical scrubbing versus brushless for surgical team in operating room.Life Sci J. 2014; 11: 387-393
- Comparison of the efficiency of nail pick and brush used for nail cleaning during surgical scrub on reducing bacterial counts.Am J Infect Control. 2012; 40: 826-829
- The efficacy of three hand asepsis techniques using chlorhexidine gluconate (chg 2%).Revista da Escola de Enfermagem da USP. 2011; 45: 1440-1445
- An in-use microbiological comparison of two surgical hand disinfection techniques in cardiothoracic surgery: hand rubbing versus hand scrubbing.J Hosp Infect. 2007; 67: 62-66
- A randomized trial of surgical scrubbing with a brush compared to antiseptic soap alone.Am J Infect Control. 1997; 25: 11-15
- Development and evaluation of a new alcohol-based surgical hand scrub formulation with persistent antimicrobial characteristics and brushless application.Am J İnfect Control. 1998; 26: 507-512
- An investigation of the factors that affect surgical hand disinfection with polyvidone iodine.J Hosp Infect. 2005; 61: 15-19
- Clinical practice guideline surgical site infection prevention.Orthopaedic Nursing. 2013; 32: 242-248
- Global guıdelines for the prevention of surgical site infectıon.2018: 95-101Available at: November 2019)
An APIC Guide, (2010) ‘‘Guide to the elimination of orthopedic surgical site infections’’, pp.43. https://apic.org/Resource_/EliminationGuideForm. Son erişim tarihi: 5 Mart 2020.
- Guidelines on hand hygiene in health care. First Global Patient Safety Challenge Clean Care İs Safer Care.Switzerland World Health Organization, Geneva2009: 54-153Available at: March 2020)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Health-Care Settings: Recommendations of the healthcare infection control practices advisory committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA hand hygiene task force’’,2002, https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5116a1.htm. Available at:March 2020.
- Guideline implementation: hand hygiene.AORN J. 2017; 105 (Available at:March 2020): 203-212
- Back to basics: hand hygiene and surgical hand antisepsis.AORN J. 2013; 98: 449-460
- Surgical Site Infections: Prevention and Treatment.11 April 2019: 8https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng125/resources/surgical-site-infections-prevention-and-treatment-pdf-66141660564421(Available at:March 2020)
- Effect of surgical hand scrub time on subsequent bacterial growth.AORN J. 1997; 65: 1087-1098
- Optimum duration of surgical scrub-time.Br J Surg. 1991; 78: 685-686
- An evaluation of five protocols for surgical handwashing in relation to skin condition and microbial counts.J Hosp Infect. 1997; 36: 49-65
- The effect of surgical handwash routines on the microbial counts operating room nurses.Am J Infect Control. 1990; 18: 354-364
- Evaluation of the optimal hand-scrub duration prior to total hip arthroplasty.J Hosp Infect. 1994; 26: 93-98
- Staphylococcus aureus and escherichia coli levels on the hands of theatre staff in three hospitals in johannesburg, south africa, before and after handwashing.S Afr Med J. 2018; 108: 474-476
- ASTM E1115-10. Standard test method for evaluation of surgical hand scrub formulations.ASTM, West Conshohocken, PA2010
- Antiseptic effect of conventional povidone–iodine scrub, chlorhexidine scrub, and waterless hand rub in a surgical room: a randomized controlled trial.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2017; 38: 417-422
- Surgical hand scrubs in relation to microbial counts: systemic literature review.J Adv Nursing. 2006; 55: 68-78
- Microbiological and economic studies of abbreviated procedures for surgical hand disinfection.Der Chirurg; Zeitschrift fur alle Gebiete der operativen Medizen. 1993; 64: 400-405
- Improving adherence to surgical hand preparation.J Hosp Infect. 2008; 70: 35-43
- The study effects of the hand washing on hands bacterial flora in operating room.J Health Policy Sustainable Health. 2014; 1: 33-37
- The efficacy of surgical scrubs in reducing hand bacterial flora.Ceylon J Med Sci. 2004; 47: 1-6
- Skin antisepsis with chlorhexidine versus iodine for the prevention of surgical site infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 180-189
- A prospective comparative study in skin antiseptic solutions for posterior spine surgeries: chlorhexidine-gluconate ethanol versus povidone-iodine.Clin Spine Surg. 2018; 31: 353-356
- A new surgical handwashing and hand antisepsis from scrubbing to rubbing.J Nippon Med School. 2004; 71: 190-197
Clinical trial registration: The trial was registered in ClinicalTrial.gov (registration no NCT04579705, April 2020).
Funding: This project was funded by University of Health Sciences Scientific Research Project Unit (No: 2019/027, dated 04.04.2019).
Conflicts of interest: No conflict of interest has been declared by the authors.
Author contribution: EAP, Eİ: Study conception and design; EAP, Eİ, AA, OB: Data collection, statistical expertise, analysis and interpretation of data; EAP, Eİ, AA, OB: Manuscript preparation, supervision and critical revision of the paper.