- •Healthcare personnel knowledge of infection prevention measures is suboptimal
- •Baseline attitudes toward medical masks and N95 respirators were negative.
- •Participants' attitudes improved significantly during each respiratory virus season
- •Improved infection control education in the outpatient setting is needed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Respiratory protection against influenza.JAMA. 2009; 302: 1903-1904
- A quantitative assessment of the efficacy of surgical and N95 masks to filter influenza virus in patients with acute influenza infection.Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 49: 275-277
- Health care infection control practices advisory C. 2007 guideline for isolation precautions: preventing transmission of infectious agents in health care settings. Guideline.Am J Infect Control. 2007; 35: S65-164
- Face mask use and control of respiratory virus transmission in households.Emerg Infect Dis. 2009; 15: 233-241
- Uniting Infectious Disease and Physical Science Principles on the Importance of Face Masks for COVID-19.Med. 2021; 2: 29-32
- Fitting characteristics of eighteen N95 filtering-facepiece respirators.J of Occup and Environl Hyg. 2004; 1: 262-271
- Inward and outward effectiveness of cloth masks, a surgical mask, and a face shield.55. Aerosol Sci. Technol, 2021: 718-733
- Surgical mask vs N95 respirator for preventing influenza among health care workers: a randomized trial.JAMA. 2009; 302: 1865-1871
- A cluster randomized clinical trial comparing fit-tested and non-fit-tested N95 respirators to medical masks to prevent respiratory virus infection in health care workers.Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses. 2011; 5: 170-179
- A randomized clinical trial of three options for N95 respirators and medical masks in health workers.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013; 187: 960-966
- The efficacy of medical masks and respirators against respiratory infection in healthcare workers.Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses. 2017; 11: 511-517
- N95 respirators vs medical masks for preventing influenza among health care personnel: a randomized clinical trial N95 respirators vs medical masks for preventing laboratory-confirmed influenza in health care personnel.JAMA. 2019; 322: 824-833
- Feasibility exercise to evaluate the use of particulate respirators by emergency department staff during the 2007 influenza season.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2009; 30: 710-712
- Mask-wearing and respiratory infection in healthcare workers in Beijing, China.Braz J Infect Dis. 2011; 15: 102-108
- Preparing for an Influenza Pandemic: Personal Protective Equipment for Healthcare Workers.The National Academies Press, 2008
- Use of surgical face masks to reduce the incidence of the common cold among health care workers in Japan: a randomized controlled trial. Randomized Controlled Trial.Am J Infect Control. 2009; 37: 417-419
- Adverse exposures and universal precautions practices among a group of highly exposed health professionals.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1990; 11: 351-356
- Compliance with universal precautions among health care workers at three regional hospitals.Am J Infect Control. 1995; 23: 225-236
- Discomfort and exertion associated with prolonged wear of respiratory protection in a health care setting.J Occup Environ Hyg. 2012; 9: 59-64
- Physiologic and other effects and compliance with long-term respirator use among medical intensive care unit nurses.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 1218-1223
- Integration of theory and practice: experiential learning theory and nursing education.Nurs Educ Perspect. 2010; 31: 106-108
- Promoting professional knowledge, experiential learning and critical thinking for medical students.Med Educ. 2000; 34: 535-544
- Triggering Interventions for Influenza: The ALERT Algorithm.Clin Infect Dis. 2015; 60: 499-504
- Infection control in the outpatient setting.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1998; 19: 41-74
- Preventing Transmission of Pandemic Influenza and Other Viral Respiratory Diseases: Personal Protective Equipment for Healthcare Personnel: Update 2010.The National Academies Press, 2011: 131-134
- Increasing ICU staff handwashing: effects of education and group feedback.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1990; 11: 191-193
- How Is CDC Funded to respond to public health emergencies? Federal appropriations and budget execution process for non–financial experts.Health Security. 2017; 15: 307-311
- Medical masks vs N95 respirators for preventing COVID-19 in healthcare workers: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials.Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses. 2020; 14: 365-373
- Risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission by aerosols, the rational use of masks, and protection of healthcare workers from COVID-19.Antimicrobial Resistance & Infection Control. 2020; 9: 100
- Current knowledge of COVID-19 and infection prevention and control strategies in healthcare settings: a global analysis.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2020; 41: 1196-1206
Funding/support: This trial was funded by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Veterans Health Administration, and the Biodefense Advanced Research and Development Agency , Award #: 6IDSEP160029-01-02 . The sponsors were not involved in data collection, analysis, or interpretation; writing of the manuscript; or the decision to submit the manuscript. The sponsors reviewed and made technical comments about the study protocol prior to enrollment and the final manuscript prior to submission for publication.
Conflicts of interest: All authors declare no conflict of interest with the work in this manuscript.